    old double-clicking on messages to get this information.

    Thanks,
    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Re: & BCC: In Preview Pane

    I forgot to say it is Outlook 2003. Sorry.

    Is there a way to get these fields to display in the preview? It is getting

    Buford T. Justice, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Buford T. Justice

    Vanguardx Guest

    Re: & BCC: In Preview Pane

    "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com>
    wrote in news::
    > Is there a way to get these fields to display in the preview? It is
    > getting old double-clicking on messages to get this information.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BTJustice

    Strange that OL2003 would delete a feature that was in OL2002. I'm
    using OL2002 and the Preview *does* show the To and Cc headers (if you
    have it showing the header information; right-click on the top boundary
    of the Preview pane and select the Headers option to show them).
    OL2002's Preview pane shows From, Subject, To, and Cc. OL2003 does have
    those?

    No e-mail client will (or should not) show you the Bcc header. Wouldn't
    make any sense. YOU don't get ANYTHING regarding the recipients in the
    Bcc header that was specified by the sender - because there never was a
    Bcc header added! The Bcc field in the e-mail client just adds to the
    recipient list used by the e-mail client when it sends the RCPT commands
    to the SMTP server to specify the list of recipients. You don't get any
    of that handshaking information (i.e., the SMTP commands) between the
    sender's e-mail client and their SMTP server.

    It is possible on some old mail servers that were improperly configured
    that they would not strip out the Bcc header on a send, if the e-mail
    client was stupid enough to actually put it in the *data* sent during
    the DATA command to the SMTP server, or would not strip it out when the
    message was received. Don't know how many of these old and
    misconfigured mail servers are still around. According to RFC 2822:

    3.6.3 Destination address fields
    "... The "Bcc:" field (where the "Bcc" means "Blind Carbon Copy")
    contains addresses of recipients of the message whose addresses are not
    to be revealed to other recipients of the message. There are three ways
    in which the "Bcc:" field is used. In the first case, when a message
    containing a "Bcc:" field is prepared to be sent, the "Bcc:" line is
    removed even though all of the recipients (including those specified in
    the "Bcc:" field) are sent a copy of the message. In the second case,
    recipients specified in the "To:" and "Cc:" lines each are sent a copy
    of the message with the "Bcc:" line removed as above, but the recipients
    on the "Bcc:" line get a separate copy of the message containing a
    "Bcc:" line. (When there are multiple recipient addresses in the "Bcc:"
    field, some implementations actually send a separate copy of the message
    to each recipient with a "Bcc:" containing only the address of that
    particular recipient.) Finally, since a "Bcc:" field may contain no
    addresses, a "Bcc:" field can be sent without any addresses indicating
    to the recipients that blind copies were sent to someone. Which method
    to use with "Bcc:" fields is implementation dependent, but refer to the
    "Security Considerations" section of this document for a discussion of
    each."

    5 Security Considerations
    "... Many implementations use the "Bcc:" (blind carbon copy) field
    described in section 3.6.3 to facilitate sending messages to recipients
    without revealing the addresses of one or more of the addressees to the
    other recipients. Mishandling this use of "Bcc:" has implications for
    confidential information that might be revealed, which could eventually
    lead to security problems through knowledge of even the existence of a
    particular mail address. For example, if using the first method
    described in section 3.6.3, where the "Bcc:" line is removed from the
    message, blind recipients have no explicit indication that they have
    been sent a blind copy, except insofar as their address does not appear
    in the message header. Because of this, one of the blind addressees
    could potentially send a reply to all of the shown recipients and
    accidentally reveal that the message went to the blind recipient. When
    the second method from section 3.6.3 is used, the blind recipient's
    address appears in the "Bcc:" field of a separate copy of the message.
    If the "Bcc:" field sent contains all of the blind addressees, all of
    the "Bcc:" recipients will be seen by each "Bcc:" recipient. Even if a
    separate message is sent to each "Bcc:" recipient with only the
    individual's address, implementations still need to be careful to
    process replies to the message as per section 3.6.3 so as not to
    accidentally reveal the blind recipient to other recipients."

    I don't recall getting any e-mails for, well, since as long as I can
    remember where the Bcc header was anywhere within the received copy of
    the message put in my mailbox. I obviously have not inspected every
    e-mail that I got to check if its headers included a Bcc header but I've
    reviewed enough of them to get a good sample to know it won't be there.
    So there's no point in showing a field in your e-mail client for a
    header that won't be there. Besides respecting the privacy of
    recipients by using the Bcc field to NOT divulge their e-mail addresses
    to each other, it also prevents someone in that list from spamming,
    slamming, or otherwise sending e-mails to the other recipients. If you
    want to know who were the Bcc'ed recipients, ask the sender but
    obviously there was a reason the sender used Bcc and your request for
    disclosure will just get trashed. I suppose the Bcc header could be
    there depending on which [old] mail server you use for sending or
    receiving, but it highly unlikely that you'll have a Bcc header in the
    received copy of the message put into your mailbox.

    Vanguardx, Sep 28, 2004