"Casing gives current" thread

Papa

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

Al Smith

Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

I'm not trying to egg anybody on. I do remove the third prong from
plugs, because I find them to be a damned nuisance. There are too
many wall sockets that don't accept three prongs. I've also often
filed down the wide prong on polarized plugs so that I can plug
into "normal" sockets. Under certain conditions, I grant you this
might lead to problems. I have never encountered a problem with
it. But I take care not to use electrical equipment under damp
conditions, or when it is obviously in need of repair.

ric

Papa said:
Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug. The above mentioned very long thread is
only long because, IMO, a few teenagers and other rascals are pulling your
leg and egging it on. Why don't we quit falling for this mischief and just
ignore? OK ?

I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Ron Reaugh

ric said:
I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

You're an accident waiting to happen.

JAD

take out a second and improve your wiring,

ric said:
I own a 70 year old house that doesn't have three-prong or polarized
electrical outlets. I have a drawer full of non polarized "cheater"
plug adapters which I have to use on much of my newer electronic
equipment.

I've never had lightning damage, shocks, or any electrical failure due
to lack of grounding. My computer equipment is connected to a six outlet
strip (which *does* have 3-prong connections), which is connected to a
wall outlet via one of the "cheater" adapters.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

JAD

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

Al Smith

NORMAL sockets are 3 PRONG and polarized! you sir have OUTDATED
outlets, that is not normal.

Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies
force me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand
dollars, and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh,
that's right, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it
when bureaucrats take it upon themselves to cost me money I can
ill-afford to spend, for no good reason. It happens regularly.

JAD

heh,, come on man........pick your battles

Al Smith said:
Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies
force me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand
dollars, and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh,
that's right, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it
when bureaucrats take it upon themselves to cost me money I can
ill-afford to spend, for no good reason. It happens regularly.

David Maynard

Al said:
Right. I'm just waiting for the day when the insurance companies force
me to upgrade my house wiring. It will cost me five thousand dollars,
and the benefit I will reap from it will be ... oh, that's right,
nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squat. I always love it when bureaucrats take
it upon themselves to cost me money I can ill-afford to spend, for no
good reason. It happens regularly.

Definitely the '3 prong outlet conspiracy'.

JAD

top post corrected

because it will bring you to code and allow you to sell your house for
more -send your kid to college- take a trip and get out of the death
trap......or do you REALLY own it?

ric said:
[top posting corrected]
take out a second and improve your wiring,

Why?

larrymoencurly

Papa said:
Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.

Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,
Al "The No-Condom Guy" Smith and Ric ".15% Alcohol With No Seatbelts":

Papa

larrymoencurly said:
Yet two people responded to your message by saying it's no problem,

And exactly what does that prove?? Please, no more ignorance, people!!

ric

[top posting corrected]
because it will bring you to code and allow you to sell your house for
more -send your kid to college- take a trip and get out of the death
trap......or do you REALLY own it?

Yes, I really own it. It is 1 block from the Pacific Ocean, has a value
of over $500K in the lot alone (and very little more in the structure.)
It is "pre-proposition 13," which in California means it is property tax
protected. It has an *assesed* valuation of $17K, making property taxes
extremely low. And it is paid for. I have NO plans on selling.

JAD

uh huh really I live near Malibu what's your address? So you will
be the 'O'Leary's Cow' in the next wild fire episodes. Slum lord.

[top posting corrected]

Papa said:
"larrymoencurly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Folks, most of us with any common sense at all know the dangers involved
with unsafe wiring and unsafe electrical practices such as removing the
grounding prong from a 3-prong plug.

And exactly what does that prove?? Please, no more ignorance, people!!

I'm sorry I seemed to be agreeing with them because I mean that common
sense may not be that common. For example, my own house originally
had a couple of wall outlets wired up to zip cord held in place with
regular staples.

ric

JAD said:
uh huh really I live near Malibu what's your address? So you will
be the 'O'Leary's Cow' in the next wild fire episodes. Slum lord.

??? Utter gibberish.