Card-reader stuck in wrong mode

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I just used the built-in card-reader on the Vista PC to upload some photos. Like all good users :rolleyes: I clicked "Safely Remove Hardware" before removing the card.

A little while later, I re-inserted the card to upload a couple more pics, but whilst the little light indicated that the card was "home" in its slot, I couldn't get any image software to "find" it. To cut a long story short, after some searching around on the PC, I discovered that the card wouldn't work, because the device slot was still in "safe removal" mode.

I removed and re-inserted a few times - as advised by the PC troubleshooter, but still no joy. So is there a way of returning the card-reader slot back to acceptance mode ..... other than having to re-boot, that is?

Thank you for looking :D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I just used the built-in card-reader on the Vista PC to upload some photos. Like all good users :rolleyes: I clicked "Safely Remove Hardware" before removing the card.

A little while later, I re-inserted the card to upload a couple more pics, but whilst the little light indicated that the card was "home" in its slot, I couldn't get any image software to "find" it. To cut a long story short, after some searching around on the PC, I discovered that the card wouldn't work, because the device slot was still in "safe removal" mode.

I removed and re-inserted a few times - as advised by the PC troubleshooter, but still no joy. So is there a way of returning the card-reader slot back to acceptance mode ..... other than having to re-boot, that is?

Thank you for looking :D

Yes Re-boot the PC:nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
itsme is correct ... sad MS still ain't "fixed" that problem.

I do not use the "safely remove hardware" thingie but I try and make sure that all data has been written before removing the card ... ;)

My card reader is connected to an on-board USB port ... you are supposed to be able to "hot-swap" devices ... so, I do. :D

I use the supplied camera cable on my new camera, which also is USB, however, I do turn off the camera before plugging in, or, unplugging.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I always used to use the USB cable that came with the camera too, but then decided to give the card-reader a go - seeing that it was there :p I think I will be trying the "quicker" approach of just removing the card in future, taking care that all data has transferred, as you wisely point out :thumb:

Actually, it's helpful to know that it's not just me, because naturally I wondered whether I'd managed to click the "ok" button either too soon, or too late when removing the card :rolleyes:

Thanks Mucks :)

Ask a Question