Capturing scrolled command line text

M

mazorj

1. Is there a way in Vista 64 Home Premium SP1 to direct the command lines that scroll down the black boot screen into a text file for later examination? You could do that or even redirect screen output to a printer in DOS, although I can't remember if it worked on the scrolling boot lines or just after DOS was fully up and running.

The reason I ask is that after the June 10 MS downloads, on reboot I saw something new to the effect that the OS could not resolve the following drives - each of which was named with one of those long gibberish filenames instead of drive letters. There were no error messages for existing lettered drives. I'd like to capture those weird "drive names" and all the other boot information to see what they're pointing to and what's being loaded on boot. So,

2. Does anyone know what's happening with these odd drive error messages and whether I need to worry about it?

3. And it may be coincidental, but after the downloads and reboot (not immediately but a few hours later), I started getting messages that my C: drive had zero available bytes. Explorer also reported zero available bytes and so did PowerDesk. Deleting files had no effect. Fortunately, the issue has disappeared for now after a cold boot but what was that all about? Anyone else get this after a recent batch of updates?

TIA for any and all help on this.

G

Gene E. Bloch

1. Is there a way in Vista 64 Home Premium SP1 to direct the command lines that scroll down the black boot screen into a text file for later examination? You could do that or even redirect screen output to a printer in DOS, although I can't remember if it worked on the scrolling boot lines or just after DOS was fully up and running.

The reason I ask is that after the June 10 MS downloads, on reboot I saw something new to the effect that the OS could not resolve the following drives - each of which was named with one of those long gibberish filenames instead of drive letters. There were no error messages for existing lettered drives. I'd like to capture those weird "drive names" and all the other boot information to see what they're pointing to and what's being loaded on boot. So,

2. Does anyone know what's happening with these odd drive error messages and whether I need to worry about it?

3. And it may be coincidental, but after the downloads and reboot (not immediately but a few hours later), I started getting messages that my C: drive had zero available bytes. Explorer also reported zero available bytes and so did PowerDesk. Deleting files had no effect. Fortunately, the issue has disappeared for now after a cold boot but what was that all about? Anyone else get this after a recent batch of updates?

TIA for any and all help on this.

I vaguely remember that there is an option in the boot.ini file to create a
boot log. If I remember correctly, that is the only choice you have.

I don't think you can create & execute a script with redirection of the
boot messages, as you could in Unix.

Ask a Question