Can't sleep

My Philips Freevents LS1400 won't go to sleep after I upgraded to Vista. I
had no problems doing this with XP media center. I've checked device manager
for anything that might be stopping it, but when I try to sleep the screen
disappears, the monitor switches off but the computer is still running.
Furthermore if I move the mouse the screen comes back again, even though I
turned off it's ability to do that!

Please help. I used msinfo32 to get my BIOS version: American Megatrends
080011 26/10/05. Do I need to update it?

quakechick

Mark said:
My Philips Freevents LS1400 won't go to sleep after I upgraded to Vista. I
had no problems doing this with XP media center. I've checked device manager
for anything that might be stopping it, but when I try to sleep the screen
disappears, the monitor switches off but the computer is still running.
Furthermore if I move the mouse the screen comes back again, even though I
turned off it's ability to do that!

Please help. I used msinfo32 to get my BIOS version: American Megatrends
080011 26/10/05. Do I need to update it?

Go To The Start Pearl

Then Type In Power In The Search Engine

Then Click On Power Options

Then Make Sure The Dot Is In High Performance

Close The Window

Retry The Hibernate Mode And It Should be functional

Jim

This is jsut a test reply to see if Windows Mail works.

Yes, it appears that it does but Microsoft still defaults to top posting.

Damn!

Thanks but that didn't work. Same problem. If my computer went to standby
without problem with XP MCE, am I right in thinking it should be able to
sleep in Vista? I think I've identified my motherboard as an ECS 915P-M3, but
can't find a BIOS update for it anywhere. Would a BIOS update even be
relevant here?

quakechick

Mark said:
My Philips Freevents LS1400 won't go to sleep after I upgraded to Vista. I
had no problems doing this with XP media center. I've checked device manager
for anything that might be stopping it, but when I try to sleep the screen
disappears, the monitor switches off but the computer is still running.
Furthermore if I move the mouse the screen comes back again, even though I
turned off it's ability to do that!

Please help. I used msinfo32 to get my BIOS version: American Megatrends
080011 26/10/05. Do I need to update it?

http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm

I don't have to tell you that if done wrong, you will have a really
fancy paper weight. when in doubt contact manufacturer. But it can't
hurt if there is an update for it, right!

:( no joy. It appears I have the very latest BIOS version (a relief I didn't
have to risk breaking it!) I have played around with the BIOS settings to see
if anything makes a difference but with no success. I came across the
following definitions of sleep elsewhere in this community:

S1 - ?
S2 - ?
S3 - ?
S4 - Hibernate

My BIOS settings seem to support S1 and S3, but no amount of tweaking seems
to make them actually work. It appears there are quite a few people with this
or a similar problem.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mark,
Open an elevated CMD,
run powercfg -a >power.txt
report back with what is in power.txt ( >power.txt is just sending the
output to teh text file rather than to the screen. Makes it easier to
capture)
THis attempts to report back reasons power options may not be available.,
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBCb3dsZXM=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Can't sleep
|>Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:39:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|:mad: no joy. It appears I have the very latest BIOS version (a relief I
didn't
|>have to risk breaking it!) I have played around with the BIOS settings to
see
|>if anything makes a difference but with no success. I came across the
|>following definitions of sleep elsewhere in this community:
|>
|>S1 - ?
|>S2 - ?
|>S3 - ?
|>S4 - Hibernate
|>
|>My BIOS settings seem to support S1 and S3, but no amount of tweaking
seems
|>to make them actually work. It appears there are quite a few people with
this
|>or a similar problem.

Vista. I

Megatrends

|>> http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm
|>>
|>> I don't have to tell you that if done wrong, you will have a really
|>> fancy paper weight. when in doubt contact manufacturer. But it can't
|>> hurt if there is an update for it, right!

Here is the text output:

The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 )
Hibernate Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

In BIOS I can select either, 'S1', 'S3' or 'Auto'. The above results were
returned with ACPI set to 'S3'. This is the default setting. (and the setting
previously used by XP MCE)