Can't Send Email

Liz

I recently got a new internet provider (att), and since then I am receiving
emails fine but am unable to send any via Outlook...I am getting this error
message...

The connection to the server has failed. Subject '', Account:
'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any suggestions???

Liz

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Outlook? Don't you mean Windows Mail ? Assuming the latter:
Like most responsible ISPs, AT&T blocks port 25 to other servers.
For more on this anti-spamming policy see
http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

The available workarounds when sending from home are as follows:

1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).
2. Ask Optonline if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
3. You can substitute the SMTP server belonging to AT&T. This is a bit
tricky, but if you want to go that route, I can provide more details.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Liz" wrote in message
I recently got a new internet provider (att), and since then I am receiving
emails fine but am unable to send any via Outlook...I am getting this error
message...

The connection to the server has failed. Subject '', Account:
'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any suggestions???

Liz

Liz

Yes, I meant Windows Mail, and yes, I would like to try to substitute the
server to get around this problem. Thank you.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Here are the steps to take:

1. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select your Optonline mail
account, click Properties, Servers. Change the name of the outgoing (SMTP)
server to smtp.att.yahoo.com. Do not change the incoming server. Also,
make sure that the "My server requires authentication" option is checked.
Click the adjacent "Settings" button. Select "Log on using"
then enter your AT&T primary email address and the associated
password. Click OK. (Your AT&T primary email address is the one
under which your AT&T service is registered.)

2. Go to the Advanced tab and change the port number for the
outgoing (SMTP) server from 25 to 465, and enable the associated
SSL option. Again, do not change any receiving parameters.
Click OK. Try sending.

3. You may get an error saying your Optonline email address is not
registered with AT&T/Yahoo. If so, follow the procedure here:
http://help.yahoo.com/sbc/tutorials/cg/cg_ext_access4.html
by doing steps 1 and 2 under the "Here's How" section.