Can't send e-mail

Kenny D

I can receive but not send. Error message follows: The connection to the
server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Forward to Joanie', Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
I have validated with my ISP provider that all the settings are correct.
Please advise.

Colin

I too am receiving the same message. I have followed all the instructions
given by Gary VanderMolen and other including but I am still having the same
problem. Logging onto my email account through my provider works without any
problem. The problem for whatever reason appears to be Microsoft related and
nothing to do with your provider. It's interesting that many people are
having the same problem!!!!

Dave N9

Try the super secret Comcast port 587 setting...

follow the last steps... starting with 10.
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=2288
(the setup for OE also works for WM)

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"Kenny D" wrote in message

I can receive but not send. Error message follows: The connection to the
server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Forward to Joanie', Account:
'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
I have validated with my ISP provider that all the settings are correct.
Please advise.

Gary VanderMolen

Comcast long ago changed the recommended outgoing port from 25 to 587,
but many customers seem to have ignored that announcement.
Make sure your settings agree with this::
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=2288

Note also that "My server requires authentication" must be checked.
Although those instructions were written for Outlook Express,
Windows Mail uses the same settings.

If you still get an error after implementing those changes, post it here
for our analysis.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Colin" wrote in message
I too am receiving the same message. I have followed all the instructions
given by Gary VanderMolen and other including but I am still having the same
problem. Logging onto my email account through my provider works without any
problem. The problem for whatever reason appears to be Microsoft related and
nothing to do with your provider. It's interesting that many people are
having the same problem!!!!

Smilyn

I tried the comcast solution, but it did not solve my problem. I am using
Windows mail, have outgoing port set to 587, and just overnight suddenly am
unable to send messages. They remain in Outgoing mail. I use Windows Vista.

Bruce Hagen

Please start your own new thread instead of hijacking this one and include
the error message that *you* see.

Gary VanderMolen

As just about every reply from the responders says, include your complete
error message or else we can't diagnose your specific problem.