Can't print from IE 6 or Notepad under Windows 2000

Rick

I am unable to print from either Notepad or Internet Explorer 6
(Windows 2000). I get the following errors:

File/Print from Notepad:

C:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
Function address 0x807b7a caused a protection fault.
(exception code 0xc0000005)
Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.

File/Print from IE 6:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Function address 0x34f7b7a caused a protection fault.
(exception code 0xc0000005)
Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.

Interestingly, I can print ok using the printer icon in Explorer.
And, I have no problem printing from other applications such as Word.

Thanks for any help!

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Rick)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: Can't print from IE 6 or Notepad under Windows 2000
Date: 10 Feb 2004 15:30:09 -0800

--

Rick,

The only time I have seen this is when we have a corrupted printer driver on the system. If the exception is logging an entry
to the Dr Watson log file, drwtsn32.log, it should help pin point which driver it is. Then we would want to remove that driver
and either re-install it, install the driver for that printer from the OS or install the latest driver for that printer from the
manufacturer. If we cannot pin point which driver it is then we may need to remove all drivers and then re-install them. The
articles below talk more about how to do this.

312052 - Error Message: Spoolsv.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312052

135406 - Steps to Manually Remove and Reinstall a Printer Driver
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];135406

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Rick

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I don't find any Dr. Watson log on my machine. Also,
wouldn't a corrupted printer driver cause all other applications to be
unable to print as well? I can print fine from all other apps such as
Word. And I can print fine from IE if I use the printer icon button
rather than going through the File/Print menu selection. Any
thoughts?

Thanks!

shorty

Hi, I am also having a problem similar to this - my error
message is: There is not enough memory for this
operation. I can print from all other applications and
can print using the printer icon in IE6. If I go to the
printer folder, there are no printers there, and the Add
Printer icon doesn't work.....Any ideas???? Thanks!

Shorty
Unfortunately, I don't find any Dr. Watson log on my machine. Also,
wouldn't a corrupted printer driver cause all other applications to be
unable to print as well? I can print fine from all other apps such as
Word. And I can print fine from IE if I use the printer icon button
rather than going through the File/Print menu selection. Any
thoughts?

Thanks!

(e-mail address removed) (Bill Peele [MS]) wrote in
--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Rick)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Date: 10 Feb 2004 15:30:09 -0800

[...]

is logging an entrypin point which driver it is. Then we would want to
remove that driverprinter from the OS or install the latest driver for that
printer from theis then we may need to remove all drivers and then re-
install them. The
articles below talk more about how to do this.

312052 - Error Message: Spoolsv.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb; [LN];312052

135406 - Steps to Manually Remove and Reinstall a Printer Driver
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb; [LN];135406

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are
subject to theresponses to this message are best directed to the
newsgroup/thread