Can't open Secured Access 2003 Database in Access 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Security' started by Jeff Byrd, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Jeff Byrd

    Jeff Byrd Guest

    I am in the process of converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007. I have
    my 2003 frontend database sitting on the local computer and the 2003 backend
    on the server. The workgroup information file sits on the server also. I
    use the Workgroup Administer to join the workgroup from the local computer.
    I have installed Access 2007 on the local computer and am atempting to open
    the 2003 front end database. When I attempt to open it I get the message
    that says "You do not have the neccessary permisions to use the
    "c:\\frontend database.mdb object" When using Access 2003 this means that
    you need to join the workgroup. You can open openAccess 2007 does not seem
    to allow me to join the workgroup to open the frontend on my local machine.

    I have to belive there is a way to do this. I have read the help section
    referring to Access 2003 user-level security and it does not seem to address
    this.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    Jeff Byrd

    Jeff Byrd, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Jeff Byrd

    Joan Wild Guest

    If you convert the 2003 to the 2007 accdb format, security is ignored.
    Security was dropped for 2007 accdb format.

    If you are converting to the 2007 mdb format, security is still supported.
    You can join a workgroup in 2007, however that isn't recommended (even in
    past versions).

    You should create a desktop shortcut that specifies the workgroup file to
    use
    "path to 2007msaccess.exe" "path to mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure.mdw"

    If you really want to change your default to the secure mdw you can use
    Database Tools...Administer...Users and Permissions or from code
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator

    --
    Joan Wild
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Joan Wild, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Jeff Byrd

    onefineham

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    NH
    Hi Joan-

    I am having this EXACT problem. Would you mind making a more concrete example of what your short cut path might look like?

    In the meantime I am going to TRY to figure it out on my own.

    Thanks
    Barry

    onefineham, Jun 13, 2011
  4. Jeff Byrd