Windows XP Can't "Hide Inactive Icons"

Reaction score
Hi there .... I'm a first-time poster to this forum, so please be gentle!!
I'm having a rather unusual problem with my system tray. The "Hide Inactive Icons" option in the "Taskbar and System Menu Properties" message box doesn't work. I haven't had this problem before, and I have no idea what might have caused it. The box is checked off, but the little arrows to the left of the system tray have disappeared, and both the active and inactive items are in the system tray. Anyone have any idea whazzup?
Thanks!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try this ...

• Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT and press Enter
  • Navigate to the following keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ Explorer

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ Explorer

• In the right-pane:

• Delete the value NoAutoTrayNotify
  • Delete the value NoTrayItemsDisplay

• Close Registry Editor, logoff and re-login for the changes to take effect
In Windows XP Professional, you can also accomplish the above using Group Policy Editor.

• Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
  • Navigate to this path:
User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Start Menu and Taskbar

• Set Turn off notification area cleanup to Not Configured
  • Set Hide the notification area to Not Configured
HTH :)

Use the information provided at your own risk.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, muckshifter ... however, no joy I'm afraid. My "Hide inactive icons" function is still MIA!

Reaction score
Okay, I fixed it! Here's how: I went into the properties of each of the items in the system tray, and selected "always hide" for all of them. They were gone and the arrow (chevron) was back. I then went back in and changed them all to "hide when inactive". The inactive ones are gone (except when I click on the chevron) but the active icons are there! I have NO CLUE why that worked, but there you go. Hope it's still working after I reboot!

This is variation on another fix I found in the kellys-korner site. It's got a lot of great tips, tricks & tweaks. Although I'm sure most of you were aware of it before I was, here's the URL for those who may not be:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

I appreciate the help, and I look forward to revisting the forum!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh the pleasures of computing ... glad you got it sorted.

:thumb:

Ask a Question