can't have more than one internet site open at a time.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Guest, Dec 13, 2005.

    I have the internet explorer icon (version 6) on my desktop. Previously i
    could have various different internet sites open at the same time (ie google
    on one, my hotmail on another, and ebay on another). Simply by clicking on
    internet explorer desktop icon, it would then go to my home page (msn) and
    then i would enter the internet address i wanted and it would go to the site
    i wanted, I then minimised the page of the site i had (for example
    hotmail), and then clicked on the I.E. desktop icon again. I could then for
    example switch between the different sites by minimising/maximising the
    windows.

    Now, for some reason, each time i click on internet explorer icon it takes
    me away from the site i have minimised (ie google) and to the home page i
    have set up (msn) , so I can only visit one site at a time.

    Please can someone tell me step by step how i can rectify this. It must be
    something to do with the settings, but to my knowledge i haven't changed
    anything. It is a pain, as I can't keep pages open and can only have one web
    page/search open at a time.

    I can't read my email/look at ebay/search a different subject
    simultaneously. Hope this is clear.

    thanks. Simone.

    Guest, Dec 13, 2005

    Don Varnau Guest

    Hi,
    From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
    for launching shortcuts."

    And... you may have a toolbar or program running which is blocking
    pop-up windows- something like Yahoo toolbar, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar,
    etc.
    The Yahoo toolbar is a very common cause. Uninstalling the Yahoo toolbar
    should allow a second window to open.

    If you're sure that another program isn't causing this, these links should
    help.
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/26.html
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/27.html
    - -
    Hope this helps,
    Don
    [MS MVP- IE]

    Don Varnau, Dec 13, 2005

    Thats brilliant . Thankyou. I found out my daughter had downloaded the Yahoo
    toolbar and as soon as i removed it the problem dissappeared!

    Guest, Dec 13, 2005