Can't connect to pocketpc?

Dave Corun

I'm using Visual Studio.NET 2003, and it was working fine until I installed
ActiveSync 3.7.

I've since uninstalled it, but it won't work on 3.5 either... then I
upgraded to 3.7 again and it still dosen't work.

It just times out trying to connect to my device.

I've checked my Device Options in VS.NET and it says it's using the
ActiveSync Provider and TCP Transport. When i hit connect, VS.NET just
sits, and I can't close out of the options dialog no matter how long I wait.

Any ideas?

// Dave

Dave Corun

I should also mention that throughout this process, ActiveSync and Outlook
2003 Beta 2 have worked fine.

No software changes have been done. I really cringe at the idea of
re-installing VS.NET b/c I have Infragistics NetAdvantage suite as well,
which takes upwards of an hour to install.

Please help! I'm under a tight schedule to get this release deployed out to
our test users.

Thanks!

// Dave

I'm using Visual Studio.NET 2003, and it was working fine until I installed
ActiveSync 3.7.

I've since uninstalled it, but it won't work on 3.5 either... then I
upgraded to 3.7 again and it still dosen't work.

It just times out trying to connect to my device.

I've checked my Device Options in VS.NET and it says it's using the
ActiveSync Provider and TCP Transport. When i hit connect, VS.NET just
sits, and I can't close out of the options dialog no matter how long I wait.

Any ideas?

// Dave

Dave Corun

Well I got it to work, but i had to uninstall of all the MS SDKs I had, like
Pocket PC 2003, and Tablet PC, etc. Took about 2.5 hours to do it... now I
have to reinstall them. What a mess.

Any idea what could have caused this, so I don't have go through this again?

Thanks!

// Dave

[...]

Chris Tacke, eMVP

My only suggestion is not to upgrade AS. Seriously, if it ain't broke....

I'm still running 3.5, and until I see some tangible benefit to upgrading,
or I get a new PC, it isn't happening.

-Chris

Dave Corun

Yeah, I think I had read that 3.7 was faster and worked w/ the PPC 2003 SDK,
and that it seemed required for development w/ 2003.

I was also hoping that PPC 2003 would be deployed to my pocket pc since it
had a few features I had wanted, in addition to the vendors now burning it
into the ROM images.

Live and learn I guess.

// Dave

My only suggestion is not to upgrade AS. Seriously, if it ain't broke....

I'm still running 3.5, and until I see some tangible benefit to upgrading,
or I get a new PC, it isn't happening.

-Chris

Harry Simpson

This is kind of a known problem. When you install ActiveSync AFTER VS2003,
VS doesn't set the correct debug to the ActiveSync.

I uninstalled and reinstalled AS3.7 and ended up having to reload VS2003 to
get it all working correctly.....

Harry

Martin Robins

Well aint that marvelous. I recently had to remove and reinstall activesynch
as it started recognising all of my deveices as guests and would not allow
me to create relationships. Now VS cannot deploy and I was wondering why.

Does anybody know of a work around for this, is there some key we can tweak?

Cheers.

jose baldner [Msft]

Hi Dave,
When you unsintall AS 3.5 it remove some registry keys installed by
Vs. you now have to unsintall the Smar device support (under Vb and C#) and
reinstall it

Let me know if this fix your problem.

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "Martin Robins" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can't connect to pocketpc?
| Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:16:54 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Well aint that marvelous. I recently had to remove and reinstall
activesynch
| as it started recognising all of my deveices as guests and would not allow
| me to create relationships. Now VS cannot deploy and I was wondering why.
|
| Does anybody know of a work around for this, is there some key we can
tweak?

| Cheers.
|
| | > This is kind of a known problem. When you install ActiveSync AFTER
| VS2003,
| > VS doesn't set the correct debug to the ActiveSync.
| >
| > I uninstalled and reinstalled AS3.7 and ended up having to reload VS2003
| > get it all working correctly.....
| >
| > Harry

| > installed
| > > ActiveSync 3.7.
| > >
| > > I've since uninstalled it, but it won't work on 3.5 either... then I
| > > upgraded to 3.7 again and it still dosen't work.
| > >
| > > It just times out trying to connect to my device.
| > >
| > > I've checked my Device Options in VS.NET and it says it's using the
| > > ActiveSync Provider and TCP Transport. When i hit connect, VS.NET
just
| > > sits, and I can't close out of the options dialog no matter how long I
| > wait.
| > >
| > > Any ideas?
| > >
| > > // Dave

Dave Corun

It was fixed when I reinstalled everything (a monster task since there are
so many files...)

Thanks!

// Dave