Can't change shortcut icon

zulu

I have been happily using Firefox for quite a long time as I found, when I
first tried it, that I could ctrl/scroll the font to a size to more than the
five sizes then possible with IE6.
I had, in fact *uninstalled* (disabled really, I suspect) IE6 via
*Add/Remove Windows components.
A few weeks ago I decided to try IE7 and downloaded and installed it. It
seems to me that M$ have copied all the best features of Firefox, but for
all that I decided I still preferred Firefox, so I *un installed* IE7.
Now, if I drag the icon at the start of the url at the top of a web page to
my desktop I get an IE icon (shortcut) rather than a Firefox one.
If I go to Properties>Change Icon I gear a choice of three FF icons to
choose from. Pick any one, apply and OK and what do we get? the IE Icon. I
can find no way to change this behaviour.

I have just downloaded a fresh copy of Firefox 2, and after uninstalling
Firefox and checking that IE is still uninstalled, I restarted and Installed
the new Firefox.

All to no avail though.:-((

I really don't know what else to try.

|zulu|

Ayush

Replied to [zulu]s message :
[...]

What's here :
Start-Run-Regedit :
[HKCR\url\] Default
AND
[HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon] Default

HKCR=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

zulu

Replied to [zulu]s message :

--

Sorry, but I get no results when I run regedit and search for those terms

I may be doing it incorrectly, as I woiuld not normally venture there as I
am almost blind.
I only dare push my luck _so_ far <g>

Cliff Wild

zulu said:
Ayush said:
Replied to [zulu]s message :
[...]

Can you run System Restore back to before your system got infected with the
I.E. 7 Plague?

zulu

Cliff Wild said:
zulu said:
Ayush said:
Replied to [zulu]s message :
[...]

I can't go back that far now :-(((

<rant>
Why on earth can't one permanently save known _good_ Restore Points!
<rant>

Cliff Wild

zulu said:
Cliff Wild said:
zulu said:
"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Replied to [zulu]s message :
[...]

Is it that you can not even run System Restore or you do not have a recent
restore point that you would like to use? I was infected by the I.E. 7
Plague at my last windows undated and after removing it I am still feeling
the pain.

I have become accustomed to making sure I create restore points manually if
I feel exporting keys are not good enough. I also make an image of the drive
just before I do something that really scares me. I burn an image once a
month anyway just in case and have had more than one occasion to use it.

Better have a restore disk handy also even if you think you will only be
doing something as simple as backing up O.E.

Ayush

Replied to [zulu]s message :
Sorry, but I get no results when I run regedit and search for those terms

I may be doing it incorrectly, as I woiuld not normally venture there as I
am almost blind.
I only dare push my luck _so_ far <g>

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste this [THIS iS oNE LINE, turn off wordwrap]:
cmd /c (reg query "HKCR\.url" /s & reg query "HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s)
C:\PostThiS.txt

then post the contents of "C:\PostThiS.txt"

zulu

Cliff Wild said:
zulu said:
Cliff Wild said:
zulu wrote:
[...]

I can SR ok. but the dozen or so points that I have are all after IE7
install.

As for disc images and all that, I haven't a clue.

A lot of stuff that I should do doesn't get done because the <deleted> folk
thay wrote the software couldn't imagine soneone not being able to read thhe
small print...
This is why I dare not attempt a reinstall. :-(((

zulu

Ayush said:
Replied to [zulu]s message :
Sorry, but I get no results when I run regedit and search for those terms

I may be doing it incorrectly, as I woiuld not normally venture there as
I am almost blind.
I only dare push my luck _so_ far <g>

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste this [THIS iS oNE LINE, turn off wordwrap]:
cmd /c (reg query "HKCR\.url" /s & reg query
"HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s)
C:\PostThiS.txt

then post the contents of "C:\PostThiS.txt"

--

Zilch
C:\PostThiS.txt never happened/does not exist

Cliff Wild

zulu said:
Cliff Wild said:
zulu said:
zulu wrote:
[...]

The dreaded reinstall is sometimes needed I guess. I have a spare drive
with a virgin install just waiting to get molested for the first time.

I try to select a good time to write on image to a spare and keep that on a
shelf also. I would suggest that if you have a spare drive. Sometimes it is
quicker to pop that in than spend a week debugging something. I have a few
dozen drives in drawers that pop into a bay and can be swapped any time with
all two systems. Important if you have archives of video and photos not to
mention the music to preserve.

Cliff

Ayush

Replied to [Ayush]s message :
Replied to [zulu]s message :
Sorry, but I get no results when I run regedit and search for those terms

I may be doing it incorrectly, as I woiuld not normally venture there
as I am almost blind.
I only dare push my luck _so_ far <g>

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste this [THIS iS oNE LINE, turn off wordwrap]:
cmd /c (reg query "HKCR\.url" /s & reg query
"HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s) > C:\PostThiS.txt

then post the contents of "C:\PostThiS.txt"

Click Start > Run > CMd > Click OK
Type these commands one/by/one then Enter after each :
reg query "HKCR\.url" /s > "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
reg query "HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s >> "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
notepad "C:\PostThiss.txt"

Then post the contents of notepad window...

zulu

Ayush said:
Replied to [Ayush]s message :
Replied to [zulu]s message :
Sorry, but I get no results when I run regedit and search for those
terms

I may be doing it incorrectly, as I woiuld not normally venture there as
I am almost blind.
I only dare push my luck _so_ far <g>

Click Start > Run > Copy/Paste this [THIS iS oNE LINE, turn off
wordwrap]:
cmd /c (reg query "HKCR\.url" /s & reg query
"HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s) > C:\PostThiS.txt

then post the contents of "C:\PostThiS.txt"

Click Start > Run > CMd > Click OK
Type these commands one/by/one then Enter after each :
reg query "HKCR\.url" /s > "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
reg query "HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s >> "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
notepad "C:\PostThiss.txt"

Then post the contents of notepad window...

1)
reg is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
or batch file

2)
reg query "HKCR[backslash] Internet Shortcut [bavkslash] DefaultIcon" /s.txt

3)
Cannot find this file

That was VERY hard for me :-(((
My vidion < 2/60

Sorry I couldn't get *backslash* on this keyboard
and I had to read cmd with magnifier and type responces,, so I hope is ok

zulu

zulu said:
Ayush said:
Replied to [Ayush]s message :
Replied to [zulu]s message :

[...]

I just found that if I delete the IE icon, it turms into a Firefox one in
the Recycle bin...and back into an IE one uf I restore it to the Desktop.

<bangs head on desk>

Enough for tonight, I'll be back in the morning... :)

Ayush

Replied to [zulu]s message :
Ayush said:
Replied to [Ayush]s message :
Replied to [zulu]s message :

[...]

%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKCR\.url" /s > "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s >>
"%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"
notepad "C:\PostThiss.txt"

Rock

<rant>
Why on earth can't one permanently save known _good_ Restore Points!
<rant>

Because that's how it's designed. Restore points are chained together, not
isolated units. For one to work the others in the chain after it need to be
available. System restore is just one tool which a specific design. You
don't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.

Use a drive imaging program to save a compressed image of the drive to
external media. Make regular images and save older ones. Now you can
restore to any point you want.

Match the tool to the job.

zulu

Ayush said:
Replied to [zulu]s message :
Ayush said:
Replied to [Ayush]s message :
Replied to [zulu]s message :

===================================
Click Start > Run > CMd > Click OK

Type these commands one/by/one then Enter after each :

The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect

%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKCR\.url" /s > "%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"

C: [backslash] Docoments and settins [backslash] [myname]

%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKCR\InternetShortcut\DefaultIcon" /s >>

"%tmp%\PostThiss.txt"

notepad "C:\PostThiss.txt"

Cannot find the C: [backslash] PostTthis.txt file

===================================

Sorry for the delay, real life intervened...<g>

zulu

Rock said:
Because that's how it's designed. Restore points are chained together,
not isolated units. For one to work the others in the chain after it need
to be available. System restore is just one tool which a specific design.
You don't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.

Use a drive imaging program to save a compressed image of the drive to
external media. Make regular images and save older ones. Now you can
restore to any point you want.

Match the tool to the job.

Thankk you, now I understand.
I wish I had know all this at the beginning thogh...<sigh>

Elmo

zulu said:
Ayush said:
Replied to [zulu]s message :
[...]

\PostThiss.txt <> PostTthis.txt

Elmo

zulu said:
[...]

Look in Folder Options, File Types tab, and anywhere that the IE icon
appears, make sure that Firefox is referenced, change the icon to the
Firefox icon.

Ayush

Replied to [zulu]s message :

Click the Start button then click on "Run.." then type the following :
\Windows\regedit.exe
Click OK or Press Enter
When Registry Editor opens, expand "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" [Don't use Find]
Click ".url" in left side and note the value of "Default" and past back
Now scroll down and expand "InternetShortcut" then click on "DefaultIcon"
Note the value of "Default" and post here