Can't change home page, read others post

I've read many post from folks that can't change their IE home page. The
general 'cure' is dealing with anti spyware and anti virus software. So I
removed all my anti spyware and virus software, ad-aware, spybot s&d, windows
defender and AVG. Still, the home page won't reset from when I did a files
and settings transfer to set it origonally when I bought the computer. I even
changed the homepage on another computer, did a settings transfer to cd and
tried to install those setting with the new home page to this computer, all
without success. I'm open to suggestions, ... this side of firefox.
Thanks, Tom

Sorry, that didn't wort. And a side note, there was not a "... grayed-out
Home Page section on the General Tab", to begin with. But thanks for trying.
Anyone else???

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Try the REG file at http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Scroll down to "Various Registry Fixes." Download, right-click> merge
"UnlockHomePage.reg"

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"thbjr (removethis) @hotmail.com"
I've read many post from folks that can't change their IE home page. The
general 'cure' is dealing with anti spyware and anti virus software. So I
removed all my anti spyware and virus software, ad-aware, spybot s&d, windows
defender and AVG. Still, the home page won't reset from when I did a files
and settings transfer to set it origonally when I bought the computer. I even
changed the homepage on another computer, did a settings transfer to cd and
tried to install those setting with the new home page to this computer, all
without success. I'm open to suggestions, ... this side of firefox.
Thanks, Tom

Don Varnau

What's the current homepage?

<thbjrremovethishotmailcom[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I've read many post from folks that can't change their IE home page. The
general 'cure' is dealing with anti spyware and anti virus software. So I
removed all my anti spyware and virus software, ad-aware, spybot s&d, windows
defender and AVG. Still, the home page won't reset from when I did a files
and settings transfer to set it origonally when I bought the computer.
even
changed the homepage on another computer, did a settings transfer to
cd
and
tried to install those setting with the new home page to this
computer,
all
without success. I'm open to suggestions, ... this side of firefox.
Thanks, Tom

www.egwhite.org which was recently moved to www.whiteestate.org, the site I'd
like to make my new home page. It works fine on my other 3 conputers, but
this one is not being nice. Of course, I've tried changing to other home
pages, including Google, no good. I also tried on my wife's user account. Her
home page is the MSN default page, same results, ir won't change to any other
web page. GRRRR!!!

Don Varnau said:
[...]

www.egwhite.org and it was recently moved to www.whiteestate.org, the site I
want to change the home page to. I also tried to change it to Google, no
good. I also tried on my wife's user account. Her home page is on the MSN
default page, but it won't change either. I changed my home page on my other
3 computers, but this one is not being nice. GRRRR!!!!

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"thbjr(removethis)@hotmail.com"
I've read many post from folks that can't change their IE home page. The
general 'cure' is dealing with anti spyware and anti virus software. So I
removed all my anti spyware and virus software, ad-aware, spybot s&d,
windows
defender and AVG. Still, the home page won't reset from when I did a files
and settings transfer to set it origonally when I bought the computer. I
even
changed the homepage on another computer, did a settings transfer to cd
and
tried to install those setting with the new home page to this computer,
all
without success. I'm open to suggestions, ... this side of firefox.
Thanks, Tom

If they locked the homepage, removing the program won't unlock it. You have
to turn off the locking in the program that locked it

OR

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/homepage.htm

If you have SpyBot S&D installed, go to the "Immunize" section.
Is "Lock IE Start Page Settings" ticked?
If so, uncheck it.

If that is not the problem, get and run these programs (if you test after
each one you can stop when the problem is gone):
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
and
Spybot - Search & Destroy -
http://security.kolla.de/
http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
Once installed make sure to update via online before scanning!
and
BHO Demon: http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/

Until the problem is solved.

cSome Web pages will reset your home page and do this. One of the
customizations they might make is to disable the ability to change the home
page, so that you are forced to use their home page. You can re-enable this
by making a small change in the Windows registry.

In Regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel

In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
- DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

If you don't have this key, browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to
"C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home
Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
Options.

Exit regedit and reboot.

When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.

Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
Start | Run and type:
msconfig
and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
this until you find the culprit.

You might also want to look at this little program. I haven't tried it, but
I've read encouraging reports:

http://www.pjwalczak.com/spguard/

Frank, I have tried both of the links you supplied, no good. I looked in the
immunize portion of Spybot S&D, but the only check box I find is for "Enable
permanent blocking of bad addresses in IE". Maybe I'm blind or else the "Lock
IE Start Page Settings" is not available in the latest version.
As for the regedit options, the only complete path I could find in XP w/SP2
was the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Control Panel, and its value was at 0. It read 0x00000000 (0).
As for the possability you mention that "Some pages will also download a
program which keeps changing it back", unless such a program sets the home
page to its current setting, that would be unlikely as my home page is set to
my church'e website and my wife's user account is set to the MSN default page
(it won't change either).
Do you have any other suggestions!!!!
Tom

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/homepage.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

FYI, I went ahead and unchecked every porgram in the cmsconfig/startup tab,
still no good. This is starting to get down right agravating!
tom

Don Varnau

Did you try to make Google the homepage by clicking on the "Make Google your
homepage" link? (That was going to be my next suggestion)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"thbjr (removethis) @hotmail.com"
www.egwhite.org and it was recently moved to www.whiteestate.org, the site I
want to change the home page to. I also tried to change it to Google, no
good. I also tried on my wife's user account. Her home page is on the MSN
default page, but it won't change either. I changed my home page on my other
3 computers, but this one is not being nice. GRRRR!!!!
What's the current homepage?
:
[...]

Nass, thanks for the step by step on SpyBot S&D. I had gotten as far as the
IE tweaks, but when I double clicked that, it opened into the Lock IE Start
Page option. Unfortunantly, all boxes were unchecked and Current User fields
were empty. I also tried the link you supplied, still no good. This computer
is still unable to change the home page.
thanks for trying ... anyone else with an idea?
Tom

nass said:
Hi Thbjr,
In the S&D click on Tools >> IE Tweaks >> Miscellaneous Locks
[ ] Lock IE Start Page Settings in front of the current user. uncheck
this option

Try this from kelly:

Hope this helps
Regards
nass

nass said:
[...]

Hi, (back up your registry first)
Try this it mentioned by Frank, Open the RUN command and type regedit32.exe
or regedit.exe and Click OK.

In the registry Editor click on this KEY:
[+] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
Loook in the Right Pane/Window for Local Page Right click on it and select
Modify.
In the new window Input the Data C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm and click OK.
Then Locate *Start Page* and there put the New Home page you want, Right
Click on it and select Modify and in the Data: http://www.bbc.co.uk for Ex
and click OK.

The same on this KEY:
[+] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
Local Page change to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm.

Start Page
:http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/reddir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
click Ok and Exit the Registry Editor change the home page on the IE
Properties also and Reboot and see if the issue resolved.
HTH
nass

Nass,
sorry to report that didn't work. Here are the specifics. I changed
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main as you suggested
on 'local page' but when I tried to change the 'start page', I got this
"ERROR EDITING VALUE" message "Cannot Edit Start Page: Error Writing The
Value's New Content". The entry in the registry did change to the new
website, so I continued with the other 2 registry entries in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main and reset the
homepage on the IE internet options window. Rebooted and no good. The 'START
PAGE' entry went back to the old homepage entry. I next did a system restore
and that rest all the registry values to where they were originaly.
Here are what each was originally:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
local page, from C:\WINDOWS\system32\blank.htm
to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
start page, from http://www.egwhite.org/
to http://www.whiteestate.org/ (when entered, got
error message)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
local page, from %SystemRoot%\system32\blank.htm
to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
start page, was exactly the same as you wrote except that the
....\reddir.dll?... only had 1 d in \redir.dll?, so I left that entry alone.

Did I do anything wrong, or do you know why I got the error message when I
tried to change the START PAGE entry?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!
Tom

nass said:
[...]

Hi Tom,
Are you the Admin of the computer, if not Asign yourself as the admin or in
the admin group, to that go to the Control Panel and Accounts and do the
appropriate changes.
Then in the Registry Right click:
[+] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
and select Permession and see if you have Full Control on the Key (Main).
and if you do not have then asign yourself Full control, if you have and
still can't change the Value then proceed to this step;
In the IE Properties Click on Programs and Click on Manage Add-Ons in the
Add-Ons window click on the Drop down and select : The Add-Ons that being
used by Interent Explorer.
and disable Browser Helper Objects or Toolbars for Non-MS (i.e.
Anti-Spyware, AV, Spybot...etc).
Then on General Change the Home Page and click Apply/OK and then Reboot and
see if you will have the new Page.
If no joy Uninstall Spybot, spy shierf or whatever Anti-Spyware or
Anti-Virus you have from the Contrl Panel or if they have Uninstall Utility
came with them.
Delete the left Folder behind in the Windows Explorer by locate or search
for them by name.
In the Registry Right click on the KEYs and Select Find and Delete any left
over from these Apps ( be careful to not delete Sys Folder, always backup
before delete in the Regs).
Reboot and Do the changes for the Home page in either Reg or IE Window.
HTH
Regards
nass

Nass, In the resistry MAIN folder there is no PERMISSIONS line, only P's are
PLACEHOLDERS. I did check under accounts and yes, I am Administrator.
I want into IE internet options, Manage add-ons abd that was set to ADD ON
THAT HAVE BEEN USED BY IE. I can not find Browser Helper Objects or Toolbars
for NON-MS to disable, but I ONLY use the IE toolbar, no Google or Yahoo, etc.
I'll be out for a couple hours , but when I return, I'll delete all
anti-virus/spyware as you suggest. Also, while in IE internet options,
Programs tab, there is an option to RESET WEB SETTING (to default). I tried
that button and got a UNABLE TO RESET WEB SETTINGS message.
Thanks again and I'll check back in a few hours.
Tom

nass said:
:

[...]

Tom, did you Right Click on the folder *Main* and look for the drop down
menu/list and select Permission, if you can't get that, what happen if you
right click Local Page do you see Permissions if yes get full contrl to it.
I don't like the sound of *Reset web settings* not allowed, as Don and Frank
said you have Anti-Virus/Anti-spyware blocking you from changing the settings.
Uninstall them and then try to set the home page to a safer website that you
will not be get infected and then Reinstall your Software and set it so you
can Overrride any settings as you wish not as they wish.
My worry is you may infected and the Virus is playing about and locking you
out of any changes! that is a doubt not certain only you know the A.
Good luck

nass said:
[...]

Are you running Zone Alarm as your firewall? There is a big problem with
that progam locking the homepage. I'm dealing with it as well. There is
still no solution that I know of, but I understand that Zone Labs is aware of
the problem.

nass said:
:

[...]

Jeremy

Jim said:
Are you running Zone Alarm as your firewall? There is a big problem with
that progam locking the homepage. I'm dealing with it as well. There is
still no solution that I know of, but I understand that Zone Labs is aware of
the problem.

^^^ OMG I've been troubleshooting for the last 2 hours using advice
from this page and others on google groups and M$'s website, and
finally this little post at the very bottom of this page leads me to
the answer. I turned off ZA and it instantly worked. I can understand
why the functionality is there, but they could've at least said it does
that.

WOOOOPPPYYYYY. I removed AVG, Ewido, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, CWShredder and
Zone Alarm. I feel like I'm on a naked computer. I started with either the
add-remove program or if the software had a uninstall option I used it. Then
I started trying to remove any leftovers in the registry, but that got scarry
quick, so I opted to do a 'search' from the START menu on the 'C' drive for
all files and folders for each piece of software and deleted anything the
search found. Unfortunantly, I'm not sure which piece of was the culprit
because I did a simple uninstall of all of them yesterday, without result,
and was sceptical todays result would be any differant. But today, WOOHOO!!!
After all were uninstalled, I went to the registry first to see if I could
change the 'Start Page' there and when it didn't give me the error message,
my pulse quickined. I opened IE and sure enough, the home page was rest to
the new page. I then went to Google and reset it to the home page and that
took. So now I can set it to any website I like. Needless to say, as I
re-install the anti software, I'll be checking after each install to see that
the home page still resets.
By the way, I uninstalled:
AVG anti virus free edition
Lavasoft Ad-Aware free (personal) edition anti spyware
Ewido free edition anti spyware
Zone Alarm free edition
CWShredder anti browser hijack freeware
Spybot S&D free edition
AGAIN, THANKS TO ONE AND ALLLL!!!!!
and I'll post 1 more time after the software is reinstalled.
Tom