can't browse internet

G

I have recently moved to an area that doesn't have cable internet and have had to use purchase a 56 K modem for a dial up network. I use Win2K Professional and have been unable to browse the internet once I connect. I have tried slowing down my modem speed and buffers, disabling my McAfee Firewall, unistaling and reinstalling the TCP/IP, but have had no success. Before messing with the TCP/IP, when I would ping a specific IP address, it would actually ping a different IP address. However, now I can't ping at all now. I don't know what else to try. Any suggesitons would be helpful.

H

hal

I have recently moved to an area that doesn't have cable internet and have had to use purchase a 56 K modem for a dial up network. I use Win2K Professional and have been unable to browse the internet once I connect. I have tried slowing down my modem speed and buffers, disabling my McAfee Firewall, unistaling and reinstalling the TCP/IP, but have had no success. Before messing with the TCP/IP, when I would ping a specific IP address, it would actually ping a different IP address. However, now I can't ping at all now. I don't know what else to try. Any suggesitons would be helpful.

Do "ipconfig" in a command window. Do you have a default gateway? If
not set it in TCPIP properties. If you do, try to ping your default
gateway. If you can't, you have a LAN problem. Look for link lites
and your interface status. If you can ping gateway, try to ping
outside by name. Test DNS with nslookup. See if you can resolve
hostnames, and see if you can ping a good IP address. I am not sure
why you would be pinging one IP and getting another.

Hal

G

I have do have a default gateway, and I can ping my own gateway, but I can't ping anything else by name or IP address. It always says request timed out. Any other suggestions?

----- (e-mail address removed) wrote: -----

Do "ipconfig" in a command window. Do you have a default gateway? If
not set it in TCPIP properties. If you do, try to ping your default
gateway. If you can't, you have a LAN problem. Look for link lites
and your interface status. If you can ping gateway, try to ping
outside by name. Test DNS with nslookup. See if you can resolve
hostnames, and see if you can ping a good IP address. I am not sure
why you would be pinging one IP and getting another.

Hal

Ask a Question