Can't Activate --> DNS Server Failure

I can't activate Vista Business due to the following error code: 0x8007232A.
I get the error message "Volume activation has failed" Description: DNS
Server Failure and to contact the system administrator. Well I have looked in
the mirror and that didn't help. Is there a firewall port that I need to open?
Brad

Had the same problem last week. Called MS for support and has been
transferred to several departments and those Indian techies had no clue what
went wrong. Then I did a search and found I need to regenerate product ID in
the activation window with the license code, and then activate the vista.

MS need to step up the support for its new baby OS.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You need to enter your product key into the system? You installed with
Volume license media which uses a generic key to complete setup but which
cannot activate, now you need to setup a KMS server to actvate against.
When it looks for the KMS server and cannot locate one it generates the DNS
error. You can also request a MAK volume key and change your product key
so that it can activate.
Here are a couple of links with more information:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?Ymhvcm4yMDAx?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Can't Activate --> DNS Server Failure
<Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:18:01 -0800
<Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
<
<I can't activate Vista Business due to the following error code:
0x8007232A.
<I get the error message "Volume activation has failed" Description: DNS
<Server Failure and to contact the system administrator. Well I have looked
in
<the mirror and that didn't help. Is there a firewall port that I need to
open?
<Brad
<

Josh

to add to this you can manually point to a KMS server by running slmgr -skms
[ip adress]. Once you have 25 machines hitting the KMS you are ready to
activate. Has to be real machines mind you, can't be VM's...

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Brad,
If you are not planning on having 25 machines up and running within the
next 30 days, you would be better off requesting a MAK volume key
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
If you have volume media, contact your volume license administrator. The
VL agreement should contain the informaton on how to request a MAK VL key.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]