can't access web page from workstations

ER

We have installed a Windows 2000 server and setup DNS. The event log
shows no DNS errors and we can access any web page from the
workstations except for our own, which is housed outside of our
network.
From the server, we can access the web page if we put our ISP's DNS
server as the primary DNS address. Our AD domain is businessname.com
and the web page that we cannot access is www.businessname.com
I am able to ping the web page from any workstation and get an IP
address returned, but it then times out. If I add our ISP's DNS server
as the first DNS server to search, the web page can be accessed.
I added a alias to our DNS server to point www.businessname.com to the
proper IP address and that didn't work. I added our ISP's DNS server
as a forwarder in our DNS, but that didn't work either.
I'm stuck....any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone...

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi,

You should set the DNS forward in the DNS server and input the ISP's DNS
server IP address there. Point the server to the local DNS server.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (ER)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
| Subject: can't access web page from workstations
| Date: 11 Aug 2003 10:34:16 -0700
|
| We have installed a Windows 2000 server and setup DNS. The event log
| shows no DNS errors and we can access any web page from the
| workstations except for our own, which is housed outside of our
| network.
| From the server, we can access the web page if we put our ISP's DNS
| server as the primary DNS address. Our AD domain is businessname.com
| and the web page that we cannot access is www.businessname.com
| I am able to ping the web page from any workstation and get an IP
| address returned, but it then times out. If I add our ISP's DNS server
| as the first DNS server to search, the web page can be accessed.
| I added a alias to our DNS server to point www.businessname.com to the
| proper IP address and that didn't work. I added our ISP's DNS server
| as a forwarder in our DNS, but that didn't work either.
| I'm stuck....any advice would be greatly appreciated.
| Thanks in advance everyone...

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard