canon IP 4000

Chuck Warren

I am getting the 5 orange flash message from the power on light which the
manual indicates is a print head problem.

History. I am the original owner, bought it Feb. 2006, and only I have
access to it. I have not done much printing with this printer - I am still
on the original OEM canon ink cartridges and these appear to be half full.
The previous time I printed, it worked very well giving a very nice color
print. I had not printed (or turned on the printer) for 2-3 weeks prior to
my recent attempt which immediately gave the blinking error message.

I have removed the cartridges and print head assembly 3 or 4 times following
this failure, and reinserted the print head assembly and cartridges. On
powering on the printer, within 1 or 2 seconds it goes into the 5 blinks
mode.

The print head assembly looks to be in good condition, i.e. a little ink
seen at the edges of the head area outside the print nozzles. It looks
physically from the outside to be in very good condition. All the contact
pins on the printer appear straight and seem to properly engage the head
contact areas. Since it had printed ok, this would not seem to be the
cause.

Is there something else to try?

I have not yet checked on the warranty issue, is it a 1 year waranty on
print head?

Chuck

Dan G

A new head is about $55 at any authorized service center, assuming you
install it yourself. Well worth the $ to keep using such a great printer.

measekite

This is what you should do. Call Canon Tech Support and discuss it with
them. They will then send you a new printer. You do not have anything
to worry about. You will not get a straight answer in this newsgroup.
Canon will give you an appropriate answer.

measekite

Just like I said.  You will not get a straight answer in this newsgroup.  Canon will replace the entire printer at no charge.

Dan G wrote:

A new head is about $55 at any authorized service center, assuming you install it yourself. Well worth the $ to keep using such a great printer. "Chuck Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

[...]

Here is some more information.

I called Canon tech support. On instructions from the tech, I unplugged
from AC, removed cartridges and print head, plugged AC in, and pushed power
on button. I got the same 5 orange flashing signal. Per the tech, this
likely means that the print head itself is ok, but something in the printer
is bad. I am still within the 1 year warranty so I took it to a local Canon
repair center to be fixed (hopefully).

Per the tech, the power on light should have shown green with no blinking
per the above test, even if the print head had been bad. This is a test for
other IP4000 users to consider.

Michael Grey

You should call them back and ask for the "Instant Exchange" where they will
send you a new printer,maybe refurbished, and keep your ink and head.