Canon For Direct CD/DVD Print?

Dick

I have been told that Canon makes a printer that can print directly on
printable CD's/DVD's. Does such a printer exist? I am aware of the
Epson R300, but what about Canon?

Dick

EyE3MallCaRds

Yes, there are many i560, i860, i905, and more, but not for the US market.
I imported a couple i905D from the uk but it was very expensive
with the euro so strong.

Dick

I have a Canon i860, but don't see how it could be done. There is
nothing in the manual, and I see nothing in the specifications.

Dick

Life is fun

Here is the site for the Canon UK's site and info on the i 865

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Bubble_Jet/i865/

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
: I have a Canon i860, but don't see how it could be done. There is
: nothing in the manual, and I see nothing in the specifications.
:
: Dick
:
:
: On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:07:44 GMT, "EyE3MallCaRds"
:
: >Yes, there are many i560, i860, i905, and more, but not for the US
market.
: >I imported a couple i905D from the uk but it was very expensive
: >with the euro so strong.
: >
: >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
: >: >> I have been told that Canon makes a printer that can print directly on
: >> printable CD's/DVD's. Does such a printer exist? I am aware of the
: >> Epson R300, but what about Canon?
: >>
: >> Dick
: >
:

Jeff H

It cannot be done on an i860 - the European version of this printer is the
i865 and includes cd printing capabilities, just as the i560 for North
American cannot but the i565 for Europe can print to cds.

Jeff H

Dick

Bummer. Isn't that discrimination? :)

Dick

It cannot be done on an i860 - the European version of this printer is the
i865 and includes cd printing capabilities, just as the i560 for North
American cannot but the i565 for Europe can print to cds.

Jeff H

Si

EyE3MallCaRds said:
Yes, there are many i560, i860, i905, and more, but not for the US market.
I imported a couple i905D from the uk but it was very expensive
with the euro so strong.

Except that we don't use the Euro in the UK....perhaps that would be the
Pound?

Si

Si

AFAIK, the kit doesn't need adapting, it's just not supplied with US models,
i860, i960 etc.

Get hold of the adapter - just slot it in place.

Si.

Dick

I wonder if this is because of some U.S. law related to duplicating
copyrighted media? Anyone know where I can get an adapter?

Dick

Fernan

Ok , I have been aiming for the same from a preference for the Canon
over the Epson and would love to find a way to get a hold of that
adapter. ANYONE knows how, and then also, even though they seem
identical, how does the fortunate owner of an i865 or i965 know that
it is the same printer sans the adapter: he or she wouldn't have had
the one without the adapter to compare. It would be the final test if
someone could assert to have actually done it. To have placed the CD
tray onto an american version and see that it works. Uhmm maybe the
idea is to buy the adaptor from someone in the UK/Europe.

Si

I did have one of these for a while but returned it and got an Epson
R200....

I think the manual for the CD adapter referred to both i860 and i865 - but
can't honestly remember.

Perhaps someone currently using one in the UK can confirm?

Si.

Dick

My son lives in Stuttgart. I sent him a message to see if they are
available in Germany. Should know something in a few days.

Dick

Just Allan

Yes, there are many i560, i860, i905, and more, but not for the US market.
I imported a couple i905D from the uk but it was very expensive
with the euro so strong.

It's not the Euro that's strong... It's... : D

Mapanari

Dick said:
My son lives in Stuttgart. I sent him a message to see if they are
available in Germany. Should know something in a few days.

Dick

Tell him we don't want the whole printer, just the "b tray" for cannon 3000,
4000, 5000 pixma! They might even sell them as replacement parts there!

Patrick

My son lives in Stuttgart. I sent him a message to see if they are
Tell him we don't want the whole printer, just the "b tray" for cannon 3000,
4000, 5000 pixma! They might even sell them as replacement parts there!

Not sure if this is acurate but;

"Unfortunately this option is not available in the US, this is due to local
Patents. You can't even order a CD tray from England and use it on your unit
vital circuitry has been left out, it won't work."

Got this from this review;

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pixma 5000/page-1.htm

Dan G

This is an old thread you are replying to. The CD tray alone will not allow
you to print discs, the 2 printer versions are different.
I'm very pleased with the UK version of the IP4000 that I got from Expansys,
it does a great job on discs.

Colin D

Mapanari said:
Tell him we don't want the whole printer, just the "b tray" for cannon 3000,
4000, 5000 pixma! They might even sell them as replacement parts there!

The i9950 CD tray runs in raised slots with internal rollers fitted,
moulded into the drop-down paper tray that catches the printed paper.
These slots, or guides, are on the left of the tray looking from the
front. If your printer doesn't have these guides then the cd tray won't
be of much use. Also, the tray retracts back into the printer to print
the CD, I presume under software control, and it's moot whether your
printer or driver will do this.

Good luck,

Colin

Mapanari

Not sure if this is acurate but;

"Unfortunately this option is not available in the US, this is due to
local Patents. You can't even order a CD tray from England and use it on
your unit vital circuitry has been left out, it won't work."

Got this from this review;

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pixma 5000/page-1.htm

I think that's hype; he was told that by someone at canon.

I really can't see any company making a model and then sending it back to
the factory to disable circuitry.

What I do see is them simply editing out the part of the software drivers
and not including a b-tray with each printer.

And if he is right, how cum it's so hard to buy an extra b-tray? If the
circuitry is really disabled, what does canon care if you buy a b-tray?

Also, why does canon care at all about patents in USA except to make a
desultry effort to abide by it and simply not ship the b-tray nor sell it
in America or S.America?

Look at all the dvdplayers that play region free and are so easy to disable
macrovision etc.
Look at all the software that has decess decoding built in!

I think if we got the overseas drivers and software, plus the tray, knocked
out the little plastic tab it would be good to go.

Dan G

I have a UK and a USA model sitting here. I can assure you that the 2 have
different hardware. The USA models are missing rollers and a guide for the
CD tray,. It's a whole lot more complicated than just a driver and a CD
tray. The hardware is different. It is possible to print discs on a USA
model, but very time consuming and difficult. This has all been covered here
before, as well as other places.