Canon empty ink warning

John Smith

If I refill and reset/disable the ink level monitoring, will I still get a
warning message when ink is empty? From what I read from some forums, empty
detection is not done by the chip, but with a sensor (on the printer) for
all the ink tanks. So my understanding is that this sensor will still work
regardless the chip.

To me, I don't care the ink level, because I can check the level with my
eyes when I want to. But it is handy to get a warning message when the ink
is empty so I can refill it immediately.

Tony

John Smith said:
If I refill and reset/disable the ink level monitoring, will I still get a
warning message when ink is empty? From what I read from some forums, empty
detection is not done by the chip, but with a sensor (on the printer) for
all the ink tanks. So my understanding is that this sensor will still work
regardless the chip.

To me, I don't care the ink level, because I can check the level with my
eyes when I want to. But it is handy to get a warning message when the ink
is empty so I can refill it immediately.

My understanding is that the ink level warning is disabled on most if not all
current Canon ink printers when the monitoring is disabled.
Try the Nifty Stuff Forum for specific information.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

John Smith

Yes I understand that the ink monitoring function is disabled. But the empty
detection sensor is still there and I wound if it is possible to let this
sensor to work and get the status with a program. There is a Linux library,
libinklevel. If this lib still works after the monitoring function has been
disabled, then I can port the lib to Windows.

Stick Stickus

When the ink monitor is disabled you lose ALL its functions including the
empty warning.If you have your carts refilled at Cartridge World they should
be able to reset the chips. You would then lose no functionality at all.
Stick

Arthur Entlich

Not owning any Canon printers, I won't make a definitive statement about
the ink level warning. I believe it will not work once the "nag" is
shut off about the ink monitor notification, (from an empty reading ink
monitor chip).

However, what I will warn you about is if the heads are run dry there is
a considerable risk of the head being damaged. Thermal controlled ink
heads require fluid going through them to maintain proper temperature
and not overheat. So, be diligent about keep those cartridges filled.

Art

Arthur Entlich

OK, now I get your question and it is a very interesting one. And if it
is doable, it would prove a great resource for owners of current Canon
inkjet products. Please let the group know if you are able to determine
this.

Art

Arthur Entlich

Are larger refillers now providing refilling for the current line of
Canon chipped cartridges? Last I read the machine required to reset
these cartridges was very costly, but perhaps it has either come down in
cost, a cheaper one has come on the market or larger refillers are
biting the bullet and buying them in spite of the expense.

Art

Yianni

You didn't mention the printer model or the cartridges. I have a suspicion
your cartridges don't have chips.

OpaPiloot

John said:
Yes I understand that the ink monitoring function is disabled. But the empty
detection sensor is still there and I wound if it is possible to let this
sensor to work and get the status with a program. There is a Linux library,
libinklevel. If this lib still works after the monitoring function has been
disabled, then I can port the lib to Windows.

In fact, in the IP4200 and later, a second sensor detects light
reflected by the tapered light-guide in front or the cartridge.
The top of this guide is acting as a reflector and the light strucks the
second sensor if tha carridge is aligned horizontally properly.
The sensor is located left just behind the front panel of the printer.
See also:
http://members.lycos.nl/dmjbijzboek/Electronics/CLI-8-light-guide-sensor.jpg
Its function is by no means clear.

John Smith

My printer is Canon PIXMA MP600 and it does use the chipped ink. Again, I
don't care about the level count (which is never accurate and dependable), I
just want to be warned when the tank is empty. Once it is empty and I'm
printing a large document, I'll waste lots of paper. Also like Art said, it
is risky to dry the head.

As empty detection uses a dedicated sensor, which is not related to the
chip, it might be possible to access this sensor. It is located at the left
side of the printer, a typical IR chip with two LEDs - one for emission and
one for receiving. A program just needs to move the print head to the left
and check this sensor.

I think this is a better direction than a chip resetter, when we try to
defeat this stupid chip stuff, at least to end users. It should be much
easier too. All we need to know is the PCL codes for moving the head and
reading the sensor. Linux guys who made the printer drivers for PIXMA
printers might already know these codes.

In the worst case, I can inject two wires into a tank and use a very simple
circuit to beep when ink is out.

Yianni

You can bypass the ink monitor/level. But in this way you can't informed for
empty cartrdiges. As you said you don't care about it much. Try the
following, if it don't work, I suppose someone else may have the solution.
(Another possibility is to press the OK button for a few seconds).

-- Initially the on screen displays shows the following error message:
--
-- Ink has run out
-- Replace ink Tank and close cover

measekite

Stick Stickus wrote:

When the ink monitor is disabled you lose ALL its functions including the empty warning.If you have your carts refilled at Cartridge World

you will no longer get the quality that Canon engineers designed into the printer.  In essence it will no longer be a Canon printer.

Arthur said:
Not owning any Canon printers, I won't make a definitive statement
about the ink level warning. At least that is refreshing.

Arthur said:
OK, now I get your question and it is a very interesting one. And if
it is doable, it would prove a great resource for owners of current
Canon inkjet products
Not really. The vast majority of Canon users do not care and they do
not have problems since they have the common sense to use the ink the
printer is designed to take.

measekite

Arthur said:
Are larger refillers now providing refilling for the current line of
Canon chipped cartridges?
Most users do not care as they buy Canon ink.

TJ

John said:
[...]

I don't have any experience with a Canon, but if I understand what I
read here you don't have to wait until the cartridge is empty to refill
it. If you know it's been a while since the carts were refilled, and you
know you're going to be doing a big print job, why not just refill them
first? Then you'll know they won't run out on you.

TJ

Stick Stickus

As I understand it Cartridge World UK have bought the IP rights to a
resetter which they use in the UK. I believe they have also sold these on to
various Cartridge World outlets in the US. I cannot confirm if that is true
but that is what I have heard.
Stick

cdhanks

Stick Stickus wrote:

"When the ink monitor is disabled you lose ALL its functions including
the empty warning.If you have your carts refilled at Cartridge World
you will no longer get the quality that Canon engineers designed into
the printer. In essence it will no longer be a Canon printer.":

Well, my guess is that Stick Stickus works for Canon. Above is just a
load of crap. Resetting the chip restores the cartridge just like it
was a new Canon cart. I have used refills for years on Epson and Canon
pro printers (current is Pro9000) and there is NO difference in the
prints. Canon and Epson are deceiving users with their dire warnings.
If they charged a reasonable price for their ink, folks would buy
them, but no, they have to be greedy just like the oil companies.

measekite

TJ said:
I don't have any experience with a Canon, but if I understand what I
read here you don't have to wait until the cartridge is empty to
refill it. If you know it's been a while since the carts were
refilled, and you know you're going to be doing a big print job, why
not just refill them first? Then you'll know they won't run out on you.
It is better to have a spare Canon ink cart so you so not have the mess.

measekite

Stick Stickus wrote:

"When the ink monitor is disabled you lose ALL its functions including
the empty warning.If you have your carts refilled at Cartridge World
you will no longer get the quality that Canon engineers designed into
the printer. In essence it will no longer be a Canon printer.":

I agree with the above statements. The author is correct in his assessment.
Well, my guess is that Stick Stickus works for Canon. Above is just a
load of crap. Resetting the chip restores the cartridge just like it
was a new Canon cart.
Impossible. It does not contain the high quality patented ink that will
reduce fading and keep your printer running clog free.
I have used refills for years on Epson and Canon
pro printers (current is Pro9000) and there is NO difference in the
prints.
With Canon ink you get
reduced fading
better color and print quality
reduced risk of clogging especially if you do not print heavily.
get what the printer is designed to do.
Canon and Epson are deceiving users with their dire warnings.
If they charged a reasonable price for their ink, folks would buy
them, but no, they have to be greedy just like the oil companies.
I partially agree with that. Their prices are very much too high. But
most printer owners are using OEM ink. And yes they are greedy like the
oil companies.