Canon 3200F - stuff under the glass - bad?

Oliver Rothe

Hi,

I just received a new Canoscan 3200F scanner and it has some stuff _under_
the glass, at the upper edge near the resting position of the scanning
line. It is not dust, it looks more like very fine spray residue
(about 1 to 2 pixels on a 1200dpi scan) distributed across an area of
a few cm^2.

What could that be? I did some test scans and it does not show up
in normal situations (I have to scan with the lid open and increase
the contrast by at least 5 times to see it), so I would
not go to the hassle of sending it back unless it indicates
a real problem.

Thanks,
Oliver

Don

Hi,

I just received a new Canoscan 3200F scanner and it has some stuff _under_
the glass, at the upper edge near the resting position of the scanning
line. It is not dust, it looks more like very fine spray residue
(about 1 to 2 pixels on a 1200dpi scan) distributed across an area of
a few cm^2.

What could that be? I did some test scans and it does not show up
in normal situations (I have to scan with the lid open and increase
the contrast by at least 5 times to see it), so I would
not go to the hassle of sending it back unless it indicates
a real problem.

I noticed the same thing on my scanner (Mustek BearPaw 4800TA Pro)
which prompted me to open it up and try to clean the underside with
lens cleaner liquid and paper. (I wrote about the whole thing a couple
of weeks ago, subject: "Care and feeding of flatbeds: Cleaning under
the glass".)

Since then the "fog" keeps coming back and I've already cleaned the
glass several times even using a microfiber cloth.

It appears to me that the "fog" seems to increase the longer the
scanner is on. It starts out pretty much invisible but then gets
stronger as the temperature within the scanner rises. This seems to
indicate either evaporation from the lamp or maybe some electronic
components which creates this condensation.

Anyway, I would also be interested to learn more about this even
though, as you say, the effect is very faint and the image needs to be
boosted radically to even notice it. Nevertheless, it's still there...

Don.

Steve

I wrote Canon recently about the same thing with my 5000F. I don't know that
I buy their reply, something along the lines of it was there to prevent
fogging or something and would not affect the scans. Didn't make sense to
me, but they're right in that I've yet to see any impact to my scans.

lostinspace