cannot use xp home as server

G

Hallo
I have 2 PC directly connected by crossover cable. My XP Home PC has also an Internet connection (ADSL) and the other PC is running Linux. I can connect from XP to the Linux Server (by telnet, ftp, ping) and not from Linux to X
I cannot view if it is running firewall because on the LAN properties the tab "Advanced" is not present . It is present only for the WAN property (Dial up PPP). So the connectivity seems working when I open connections from XP to Linux but not viceversa. I am using subnet 192.168.1.0 (.2 for XP and .3 for Linux

Can you help me
Thanks a lo

G

Linux cant see windows and windows cant see linux. They just dont like each other. I would suggest dual booting on the same PC. INstall windows and then linux and it will run fine. You can check out WINE for linux so you can see windows programs. Linux uses a totally different boot loader than windows and totally different file system. ITs kinda like getting a blind person to see the sun. No matter how bright...they just cant see it. I would suggest dual booting and using the other PC as a server or storage space for both OS's.

R

Rob Schneider

You can simplify access between Linux and XP if you use Samba running on
the Linxu server to provide access to XP not only for file/printer
sharing, but they also provide some tools which permit you to easily
access the XP shares. www.samba.org

Search Google (or equivalent) for articles on XP and Samba to learn more.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Ask a Question