Windows Vista Cannot sign into MSN/Yahoo Messenger

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I know that Yahoo Messenger/MSN are a bit of a no-no for some of you, but if someone could offer me a suggestion (keep it clean please!) I really would appreciate it.

I've used both messenger programmes for many years past, without any problems... even on Vista. But suddenly, I cannot sign in to either one, when using Vista.

I've tried the obvious things, such as re-setting password, fiddling with the "proxy" settings in the programme, un-installing and re-installing, but still the pesky things refuse to work. I just keep getting that annoying "Sign in problem... there was a problem signing into Yahoo! Messenger. Please try again a little bit later."

There is no problem signing in on XP, just Vista. I thought it might be KIS7... but no, I have clicked to "allow" Messenger. So think it has to be specifically a Vista incompatability.... would you agree?

I know there are other IMs out there, but friends prefer to use Yahoo or MSN, and some of the features (photo-sharing for example) are not compatable when you access Yahoo via other programmes (such as Pidgin) I don't think.

Before anyone asks... yes, I know Yahoo has a so-called "help" section, but as I'm also sure you will know, wet paint dries more quickly than they get around to answering queries.

Fed-up, cross, hacked-off, wanting to kick that silly smiley where it hurts, TC... but otherwise a happy bunny :D

Thank you for looking :wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Solved it

Just in case anyone else is experiencing problems and would be interested in the answer - I've just found it, after much hunting around on Microsoft website :rolleyes:

This problem occurs because the Microsoft Internet Explorer SSL settings are incorrect.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
1. In Internet Explorer, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation (requires restart of IE) check box.

To do this, follow these steps:

a. Start Internet Explorer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
c. Click the Advanced tab.
d. Under Security, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation (requires restart) check box.
e. Click OK.
f. Exit Internet Explorer.

2. Sign in to Messenger again.

:wave:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Good to hear that, TC. :thumb:

I was interested in your analogy about the paint drying and the speed of the reply. I did some painting recently and the paint dried in less than an hour. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed TC :D I'd never have thought of that as the problem in a million years, so thanks for posting it for others in the same boat :nod:

I'll edit the thread title so that anyone else with the same problem can see it :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
nivrip said:
I did some painting recently and the paint dried in less than an hour.

:rolleyes: Hmm.. okay, let's say I was thinking about the Forth Bridge at the time :p

Ian Cunningham said:
I'll edit the thread title so that anyone else with the same problem can see it

Thank you Ian, much appreciated ... believe it or not, I had one of those eureeka moments in the shower just now, when it struck me that my title wasn't helpful. :thumb: :D

Reaction score
anyone notice to get into Yahoo mailbox you need to type the @yahoo.com part now in username slot?? You did not have to before.

Reaction score
Thanks Taffy... Have had the same problem for weeks..Funny how something so simple could be stairing me in the face....

Hollydolly the @yahoo.com/.co.uk has started since Yahoo has rolled out their @ymail.com its ther just to help there servers recognise whats what...You should be able to sigh in as normal within the next few months..Yahoo have one or two other fases to roll out yet..Although with the advent of @ymail.com all hell could break loose with everybody trying to get PNA's ( Peronal Name Addresses")

Ask a Question