Cannot save home page

JasonA

Using XP Home SP2 with updates

I cannot save the home page in IE6/XP: When I go back into options
www.microsoft.com/... is still the homepage. If I try to change it in the
registry I get an error that it cannot be saved. I have checked permissions
on the Key and they are set to full for administrators, creator user and the
username.

Don Varnau

Hi,
A number of security/anti-spyware programs can lock the homepage. Spybot
S&D, Norton AV 2006, Spyware Blaster- to name a few. Look through settings
of those and similar programs to see if you can find the guilty program.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

JasonA

I've got search & destroy on my machine as well - works fine. NAV and
Spyware Blaster are not installed.

JasonA said:
Using XP Home SP2 with updates

I cannot save the home page in IE6/XP: When I go back into options
www.microsoft.com/... is still the homepage. If I try to change it in the
registry I get an error that it cannot be saved. I have checked permissions
on the Key and they are set to full for administrators, creator user and the
username.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

You might try this from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
Panel".
See http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=6748

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

JasonA said:
Using XP Home SP2 with updates

I cannot save the home page in IE6/XP: When I go back into options
www.microsoft.com/... is still the homepage. If I try to change it in
the
registry I get an error that it cannot be saved. I have checked permissions
on the Key and they are set to full for administrators, creator user and the
username.

JasonA

I get: Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature,
or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help
files for more information.

"JasonA" <Jason[at]Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
Using XP Home SP2 with updates

I cannot save the home page in IE6/XP: When I go back into options
www.microsoft.com/... is still the homepage. If I try to change it in
the
registry I get an error that it cannot be saved. I have checked
permissions
on the Key and they are set to full for administrators, creator user
and
the
username.

JasonA

None of the IE tweaks are ticked.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

What other security/antispyware programs are you running?

As a test, you might try to set google as the homepage. Go to www.google.com
and click on "Make Google Your Homepage!"

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JasonA" wrote in message
[...]

I've tried Adaware. Zone Alarm and Avast are running (they haven't caused
problems on other computers).