Cannot run Autoupdate Service on Microsoft XP Professional SP1

G

Hi

I cannot start the Automatic Update Service on my Windows XP Professional machine (all updates were installed by manually running the Windows Updater) using an administrator account

The following are some of the details
My Computer -> Properties -> Automatic Updates tab states "The Windows Update Service is Unavailable
My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Automatic Updates -> Start gives the following message:
"Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Compute
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service

My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Automatic Updates -> Properties
shows
Path to executable: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs which I believe is correc

When I click on the Dependencies tab of My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Automatic Updates -> Properties, a dialog box with the title "Services Dependencies" and the error message "Interface: class not registered" appears

I have run the system file checker "SFC /Scannow" and there were no obvious problems

I am really at a loss as to what the problem is and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you all in advance for any help.

G

I should also add that I have verified the policies to the best of my knowledge:

In "gpedit.msc" (Group policy snap-in):
In Computer Configuration -> Adminstrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Automatic Updates the "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to "not configured"

In User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> WIndows Components -> Windows Update, the "remove access to use all Windows Update features" is set to disabled.

The registry does not contain any any other NoWIndowsUpdate or DisableWindowsUpdateAccess values.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Policies -> WindowsUpdate does not contain anything but a (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Policies -> Explorer did contain a NoWindowsUpdate value, which I deleted and rebooted without success.
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Policies -> Explorer did contain a NoWindowsUpdate value, which I deleted and rebooted without success.

Thanks again,

Navid

Ask a Question