Cannot Open ADP - SQL Server Changed

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access ADP SQL Server' started by Don Reynolds, Jul 30, 2009.

  1. Don Reynolds

    Don Reynolds Guest

    I have an ADP with a ton of code that I wrote for a database that no longer
    exists. Is there any way to open or extract the forms/vba from it?

    I believe the connection timeout is saved as infinite, so opening it fails
    and it just hangs forever.

    I've seen posts about using a hex editor to change the timeout, but i cannot
    figure out how to do this.

    This is the content of the post that leads me to believe it is possible
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...81962c0dc0e?lnk=st&q=&rnum=7#4285281962c0dc0e

    Just wanted to thank everyone for all of thier help. HAHA! - I figured it
    out.... Using a HEX editor i was able to find the Property0966\1\3\0. inside
    of my adp file. This is the property that sets the database connection
    timeout. Setting the last number (0) to a 5 allowed the connection to 'time
    out' and therefore allowed me change my connection information using 'file'
    and 'connection' in Access. If it is set to 0 it will never time out and will
    never connect if the database is not valid. Then you locked up!!!! Hope this
    helps someone else.

    --
    /* Don Reynolds */

    Don Reynolds, Jul 30, 2009

  2. Did you try to create a blank ADP project and import everything into it?

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Windows Live Platform

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jul 30, 2009

  3. Don Reynolds

    Don Reynolds Guest

    I wasn't aware that you could import Access Forms, Mods, and Reports.

    If I try to Import Access data it will hang forever trying to connect to the
    other ADP.

    --
    /* Don Reynolds */

    Don Reynolds, Jul 31, 2009
  4. Download the Hexa Editor XVI32:
    http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download

    Property0966 is written in Unicode, so each letter/numeric is followed by a
    byte of value 0. The easiest way to search for this is to enter
    P.r.o.p.e.r.t.y.0.9.6.6. in the search string and check the option "Joker
    char hex: 2E" at the bottom of the search dialog window. (The decimal point
    is character 2E in Ascii).

    Replace the "0" (or 30 in hexadecimal) that you'll find after the
    Property0966\1\3\ with the letter/numeric 5 on the right pane (the right
    pane must be WHITE and not GREY so that it has the focus).

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jul 31, 2009
  5. Don Reynolds

    Don Reynolds Guest

    That is exactly what I needed!
    You saved 5 years of code snippets for me!

    Thank you!

    --
    /* Don Reynolds */

    Don Reynolds, Jul 31, 2009
  6. Also, if you did remember the name of the server, you could have created an
    alias on your local machine in either the file HOSTS (for a TCP/IP address)
    or with the SQL-Server Client Configuration utility (for SQL-Server 2000,
    the name and location has changed with SQL-Server 2005+) in order to fake a
    false server on your local machine.

    Knowing the name of the database is not necessary as the login/connection is
    with the server and not with the database itself.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jul 31, 2009
  7. BTW - and without taking into account the fact that I don't see the point of
    having set up the Connection TimeOut to infinity in first place - don't you
    have any backup of both the ADP project with its associated database?

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jul 31, 2009