cannot install software by assigning to computer on xp workstation

G

I am new to group policy management. I have an application packaged in an msi file that needs to be deployed from a windows 2000 server. During in house testing I can assign and install the software to the xp prof. machine using user policy. But when I try to deploy using a machine policy with the machine in the deployment group instead of the user I get the following error in my application log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1054
Date: 10/10/2003
Time: 11:37:15 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: JEFFBPC
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The same machine policy is able to install the software to a win 2000 workstation without any problems.

I have tried changing the machine policy on the xp to wait for logon before applying the policy but it did not change the results.

After losing the domain name I need to unjoin the domain and rejoin to fix the above error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ask a Question