Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive?

Julia

I have been trying to install some software recently, and each time I get to
the Installation Wizard, it tells me that it cannot complete installation
because the "documents" folder is either not valid, or not on the C drive. I
have not changed any of my folders, but this seems to be the same message I
get. I can download the software, but cannot install. It is not an issue
with the software, it seems to be a vista thing because it is happening with
everything, not just one particular software. Does anyone know how to fix
this? I wonder if this is related to a recent update?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Julia,
What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
Can you open an elevated cmd prompt?
Start button, all programs, accessories, Right Click on Command Prompt and
choose to run as administrator.
cd\ to change to root directory

Do a dir /a to get a directory listing
Do all these folders exist just like this?
Directory of C:\
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> Program Files
02/12/2008 09:54 AM <DIR> ProgramData
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
02/12/2008 12:09 PM <DIR> Windows
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive?
|> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:08:03 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> I have been trying to install some software recently, and each time I
get to
|> the Installation Wizard, it tells me that it cannot complete
installation
|> because the "documents" folder is either not valid, or not on the C
drive. I
|> have not changed any of my folders, but this seems to be the same
message I
|> get. I can download the software, but cannot install. It is not an
issue
|> with the software, it seems to be a vista thing because it is happening
with
|> everything, not just one particular software. Does anyone know how to
fix
|> this? I wonder if this is related to a recent update?

Julia

Yes, Everything is there. In fact, I even see the program that I was trying
to install in there.

Here is the exact message:

Error 1325. The folder "Documents" in not valid. Note that Quickbooks can
only be installed on a hard drive.

I've contacted Quicken and they said it is a Vista problem.

And, I get the same message with everything I try to install. I tried to
download and updated Adobe and Quicktime player and I got the same error.

Any thoughts?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Julia,
What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
Can you open an elevated cmd prompt?
Start button, all programs, accessories, Right Click on Command Prompt and
choose to run as administrator.
cd\ to change to root directory

Do a dir /a to get a directory listing
Do all these folders exist just like this?
Directory of C:\
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> Program Files
02/12/2008 09:54 AM <DIR> ProgramData
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
02/12/2008 12:09 PM <DIR> Windows
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive?
|> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:08:03 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> I have been trying to install some software recently, and each time I
get to
|> the Installation Wizard, it tells me that it cannot complete
installation
|> because the "documents" folder is either not valid, or not on the C
drive. I
|> have not changed any of my folders, but this seems to be the same
message I
|> get. I can download the software, but cannot install. It is not an
issue
|> with the software, it seems to be a vista thing because it is happening
with
|> everything, not just one particular software. Does anyone know how to
fix
|> this? I wonder if this is related to a recent update?

Julia

Wait....under Documents and Settings the code is not <DIR> it is <JUNCTION>
does that make a difference?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Julia,
It should be a junction on Windows Vista, not a directory.
That shouldn't make a difference, the app doing the installing shouldn't
care.
Are shortnames disabled by any chance?
From the elevated cmd run dir /x
Looking for something like this: Docume~1 for documents and settings

Directory of C:\

11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> DOCUME~1 Documents and Settings
[C:\Users]
01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> PROGRA~1 Program Files
02/12/2008 06:41 PM <DIR> PROGRA~2 ProgramData
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
02/12/2008 06:00 PM <DIR> Windows

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive?
|> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:48:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> Wait....under Documents and Settings the code is not <DIR> it is
<JUNCTION>
|> does that make a difference?
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello Julia,
|> > What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
|> > Can you open an elevated cmd prompt?
|> > Start button, all programs, accessories, Right Click on Command Prompt
and
|> > choose to run as administrator.
|> > cd\ to change to root directory
|> >
|> > Do a dir /a to get a directory listing
|> > Do all these folders exist just like this?
|> > Directory of C:\
|> > 11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings
[C:\Users]
|> > 01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> Program Files
|> > 02/12/2008 09:54 AM <DIR> ProgramData
|> > 06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
|> > 02/12/2008 12:09 PM <DIR> Windows
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > get to
|> > installation
|> > drive. I
|> > message I
|> > issue
|> > with
|> > fix

Julia

Darrell,
I hope you are still out there. I have not been able to correct this
problem. As far as I understand it, it looks like something has changed my
directories to point to this folder incorrectly and it is messing up my
installation procedures.

I checked what you said and I did not see anything that said <JUNCTION>
Doume~1 Documents and settings.

What do you think is the problem?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Julia,
It should be a junction on Windows Vista, not a directory.
That shouldn't make a difference, the app doing the installing shouldn't
care.
Are shortnames disabled by any chance?
From the elevated cmd run dir /x
Looking for something like this: Docume~1 for documents and settings

Directory of C:\

11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> DOCUME~1 Documents and Settings
[C:\Users]
01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> PROGRA~1 Program Files
02/12/2008 06:41 PM <DIR> PROGRA~2 ProgramData
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
02/12/2008 06:00 PM <DIR> Windows

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: RE: Cannot install because "Documents" folder is not on C drive?
|> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:48:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> Wait....under Documents and Settings the code is not <DIR> it is
<JUNCTION>
|> does that make a difference?
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello Julia,
|> > What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
|> > Can you open an elevated cmd prompt?
|> > Start button, all programs, accessories, Right Click on Command Prompt
and
|> > choose to run as administrator.
|> > cd\ to change to root directory
|> >
|> > Do a dir /a to get a directory listing
|> > Do all these folders exist just like this?
|> > Directory of C:\
|> > 11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings
[C:\Users]
|> > 01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> Program Files
|> > 02/12/2008 09:54 AM <DIR> ProgramData
|> > 06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
|> > 02/12/2008 12:09 PM <DIR> Windows
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > get to
|> > installation
|> > drive. I
|> > message I
|> > issue
|> > with
|> > fix

R. C. White

Hi, Julia.

Is "Julia" your Username? Do you see a folder named:
C:\Users\Julia\Documents

Is a folder by that name on Drive D:, or E:, or X: - or anywhere else in
your computer? Look in the Root of every drive for the X:\Users folder. It
typically is in C:\, but not always.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Julia,
It should be a junction on Windows Vista, not a directory.
That shouldn't make a difference, the app doing the installing shouldn't
care.
Are shortnames disabled by any chance?
From the elevated cmd run dir /x
Looking for something like this: Docume~1 for documents and settings

Directory of C:\

11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> DOCUME~1 Documents and
Settings
[C:\Users]
01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> PROGRA~1 Program Files
02/12/2008 06:41 PM <DIR> PROGRA~2 ProgramData
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
02/12/2008 06:00 PM <DIR> Windows

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> Wait....under Documents and Settings the code is not <DIR> it is
<JUNCTION>
|> does that make a difference?
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello Julia,
|> > What is the exact error message that you are seeing?
|> > Can you open an elevated cmd prompt?
|> > Start button, all programs, accessories, Right Click on Command
Prompt
and
|> > choose to run as administrator.
|> > cd\ to change to root directory
|> >
|> > Do a dir /a to get a directory listing
|> > Do all these folders exist just like this?
|> > Directory of C:\
|> > 11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings
[C:\Users]
|> > 01/23/2008 08:43 PM <DIR> Program Files
|> > 02/12/2008 09:54 AM <DIR> ProgramData
|> > 06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
|> > 02/12/2008 12:09 PM <DIR> Windows
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

time
|> > get to
|> > installation
|> > drive. I
|> > message I
|> > issue
|> > with
how
|> > fix

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello
Good point R. C.,
it could be relocated on a different drive.
I also forgot to add when you do the dir use the /a switch
Dir /a
I use Dir /a >root_dir.txt to pipe the output into a text file
Your output should look something like this:
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin
09/18/2006 01:43 PM 24 autoexec.bat
01/23/2008 09:00 PM <DIR> Boot
01/18/2008 11:45 PM 333,203 bootmgr
06/13/2007 12:55 PM 8,192 BOOTSECT.BAK
11/02/2006 05:01 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
03/04/2008 10:09 AM 2,147,045,376 hiberfil.sys
01/12/2006 12:46 PM 0 IO.SYS
01/12/2006 12:46 PM 0 MSDOS.SYS
03/25/2005 04:00 AM 47,772 NTDETECT.COM
03/04/2008 10:09 AM 2,460,880,896 pagefile.sys
03/04/2008 04:23 PM <DIR> Program Files
03/04/2008 08:03 PM <DIR> ProgramData
03/06/2008 12:00 AM <DIR> System Volume Information
06/13/2007 12:36 PM <DIR> Users
10/27/2006 12:14 PM <DIR> WAIK
03/05/2008 09:27 PM <DIR> Windows
03/05/2008 03:56 PM <DIR> windows.old