Cannot find/see AddIns

K_Macd

I have just created an addin in 2007 and saved it to the default addin
folder. My initial impression that once saved as an addin and saved to the
default folder that it was no longer neccessary to set up a reference in the
calling procedure as is done in the 'development mode'. It appears that one
has to define a reference regardless.

However on doing so the calling program still cannot find the addin procedure
even though it is visible in the VB Editor session. What other process/link
have I missed?

I also expected to be able to see the procedure in the macro manager list.
Wrong expectation or another process to complete ?

TIA

Peter T

First, although placing an addin in a default addins folder
(app.UserLibraryPath) also puts the addin in the Addins collection, simply
that does not on its own cause the addin to load (it would need to be
"Installed" to load at start-up).

When an addin is loaded, eg it gets loaded on start-up because it is
"Installed" or loaded by some other means, it's UDFs become available for
use in cell formulas and can be seen in the function wizard (shift-F3).
Ordinary macros though do not appear in the macro list Alt-F8.

To call a routine in an addin with VBA from some other workbook first you
will need to ensure the addin is loaded then:
- either set a reference to the addin in Tools References which will allow
you to call the routine directly (btw, best rename the addin's project name
something different from the default "VBAProject")
- or use the Application.Run method

Regards,
Peter T

"K_Macd" <kmacdonald "A_T" activ8 ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''D O
T'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' net [S> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

K_Macd

I am making the addin available by selecting it via Office Menu>Excel
Options>Addins Viewer>Addins

The addin appears to be loaded as I can see it on the available references
list ( I had already named it something more identifiable than 'vbaproject' )
and then I can select it but the calling routine cannot 'find' it. That
process is exactly the same as 'connecting ' to it before I created the
'xlam' version so I am at a loss as to whats (not) happening.

There is however another addins manager accessable thru VB Editor which
would appear to control loading behaviour. That dialog has no items
displayed. Is this a clue?

--
Ken
"Using Dbase dialects since 82"

Peter T said:
[...]

T'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' net [S> wrote in message

Peter T

If the addin is loaded and you have set (ticked) it as a reference in your
calling project, all its Public methods and properties should be visible. If
the routine is in a private module, or in some object module it will not be
visible to your project. From your calling project press F2, then select the
referenced addin under Libraries and browse it.
There is however another addins manager accessible thru VB Editor which

Not sure what you mean, in VBA all you can do is something like this

Dim ai As AddIn

For Each ai In Application.AddIns
Debug.Print ai.Installed, ai.Title, ai.Name
Next

As I mentioned before, for your purposes the addins collection is not
relevant, other perhaps to auto-load the addin at start-up.

T'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' net [S> wrote in message
[...]

Peter

It helps if the xlam file is the lastest version and there are module and
procedure names are unique. I need to pay more attention to detail.

Thanks for your assistance