cannot contact

When I open the MMC snap in for DNS I get an error "Cannot contact the DNS
Server". The server was fully functional a few days ago. If I do a nslookup
the server is still resolving names. I have tried to delete the server and
add it back it but I get an error that says the RPC server is too busy. I
found a hotfix and installed it but it didn't help the problem. Any
suggestions

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
JohnD said:
When I open the MMC snap in for DNS I get an error "Cannot contact
the DNS Server". The server was fully functional a few days ago. If
I do a nslookup the server is still resolving names. I have tried to
delete the server and add it back it but I get an error that says the
RPC server is too busy. I found a hotfix and installed it but it
didn't help the problem. Any suggestions

RPC errors are not DNS errors. Nslookup proved DNS is functioning, but that
depends on how you used nslookup. However you are merely trying to connect
to the DNS console on another machine or your own machine. RPC errors are
usually attributed to network connectivitym, firewall blocks, and/or name
resolution errors. So if you are using the wrong DNS in your own machine;s
IP properties, that can be one reason.

Is the DNS server service started on the local machine or the remote machine
you are trying to open in the console?

If you used nslookup against the wrong machine and assumed it was the
machine in question, then that could give you a false sense that the local
server is using. We would need to see the actual nslookup results as you
attempted it and an ipconfig /all to actually verify that.

Things to ask yourself:

Are you only using the internal DNS in your IP properties? If not, why?
NetBIOS name resolution working?
Did you try to connect by IP instead of it's name. If it works, then
obviously something is up with resolution.
Is the server you are trying to connect local on the subnet or in another
location? If another location, then I would look at firewall rules,
resolution issues, etc.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...