Cannot connect to PPC 2002 with VS.NET 2003

John Loffredo

Recently installed a trial version of VS.NET 2003 Pro.
Just getting started using it.
Everything seems to work ok, but cannot connect to a PPC
2002. I'm using Active Sync 3.7 (also tried 3.5) thru a
serial port. Found a MS KB article that refers to
corrupted proxyReg settings causing this, but it did not
fix my problem. I've previously written several programs
in embedded VB and downloaded ok with Active Sync.
Also, I'm not familiar with the TCP transport option that
is available for connection.

Also would like to know what happened to Smart Device
Extensions. Have a textbook that says I must have it
installed along with .NET Compact Framework, but that SDE
is not available in the Pro edition of VB.NET. Can't find
anything at any MS web site about it. Has it morphed into
something else (Smart Device Programming??). Do I need it
in my system?

Ghengis

John Loffredo said:
[...]

SDE is included with 2003, it should be in your list of available projects
when you create a new C# or VB project (probably called Smart Device
Application).
Don't know about the ActiveStink problems; we couldn't get it to work so we
use TCP.

Chris Tacke, eMVP

The Smart Device Extensions (SDE) was a term used with the beta. It was a
piece that was installed to add device programming to Studio 2002. When
Studio 2003 was released, it had smart device programmability (SDP) built
in, so the SDE was rendered obsolete.

If you have Studio 2003, you have SDP. Note that you must have Studio, not
a single-language edition.

John Loffredo

Thanks for the reply! I suspected this was the case, but I
wasn't sure.

Can you help me on my connectivity problem?

Thanx,
John

Chris Tacke, eMVP

I'd start by googling the newsgroups. I know this has been covered a lot.
I don't use PPCs, so I'm not a great resource there.

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Do you have a network card in yor PC?

John Loffredo said:
Thanks for the reply! I suspected this was the case, but I
wasn't sure.

Can you help me on my connectivity problem?

Thanx,
John

John Loffredo

Thanx!! Appreciate your reply.