Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard

Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard.
There was an error in the writing process.

I am unable to create a CD-R disk, using Windows XP's built in CD burning
software. I am trying to place text & image files, total < 200 MB .

HOWEVER, I can create a music cd using Windows Media Player

After formatting a CD-RW disk, on the PC in question, using XP's formatting
tool, I received the same error message when I tried to put files on a CD-RW
disk. Thus I do not think that http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_883523.aspx applies.

Windows XP Home SP2
Dell Dimension 2400
P4, duo core 2.4 GHZ
384 MB
40 GB, > 25% free
Sony Dual Layer 16x + / - DWG120AB2BL
Norton Internet Security 2005, up to date; no viruses detected

The PC shipped with ONLY a CD player. DVD dual layer Sony burner was
installed 18 Jan 2006. Upgrade to XP SP2 occurred Nov 2004.

I have ensured that "enable CD Recording on this drive" is checked.

I set IMAPI service to automatic. I started it. I set recovery for 1st, 2nd
& 3rd to "restart the service". But, after trying to create a CD-R disk,
IMAPI is "unstarted".

Nothing noted in event viewer > system, nor applications.

Nothing noted system info > software environ > windows error reporting.

I am using the XP burning software because I installed Nero 7 Ultimate &
burning failed.

I have contacted Nero multiple times on this issue, via email & their online
tech support form. They responded only twice. Neither reply addressed the
issue. They asked for the report from the nero info tool. I sent that to
them, 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I have called Nero customer service in California. They asked me to send
them a problem description. I did. That was 8 days ago. I'm still waiting
for a reply from them.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3241...23120121120120, I tried
To remove and reinstall the device driver for the CD-R drive or the CD-RW
drive:
1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
3. Click the drive that uses the driver you want to remove.
4. On the Action menu, click Uninstall.

When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
5. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

I have tried various "name brand" CD- R & CD-RW disks.

I have tried garden variety text documents.

I have set the burning speed from "fastest" to 8x.

I am still not able to create a CD, using Windows XP's built in CD burning
utility.

I have run every Nero 6 & 7 clean up tool I can find. After multiple
attempts, I have been able to install Nero 6, then create a data CD, so I
know that the problem is not caused by the burner.

I sure hope you can help me.

WC

David Candy

Nero and windows have nothing to do with each other. The same part of XP that burns data CDs also does music CDs.

Doug Kanter

David Candy said:
Nero and windows have nothing to do with each other. The same part of XP
that burns data CDs also does music CDs.

Although I agree, I think some people post these questions here because
there's just a handful of groups where you're most likely to find another
user. It's a matter of desperation. I was about to do the same, but my
problems with Nero vanished when I moved my new computer from its temporary
preparation area, the kitchen, to the office. Now, it burns CDs with no
problems. My son explained that it was a spiritual issue for the machine -
it's a desktop computer, not a tabletop computer.

Dispute that if you can. :)

Doug Kanter

Well, the machine *did* look totally out of place on a mauve table cloth,
moron. :)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are an idiot. This is clearly a case of feng shui.

I am not seeking an answer to my Nero issue. I apologize if my post
indicated such.

I am seeking a solution to the failure of Windows XP to burn CDs.

I provided the Nero information, in case someone would recommend Nero as an
alternative.

WC

I am not seeking an answer to my Nero issue. I apologize if my post
indicated such.

I am seeking a solution to the failure of Windows XP to burn CDs.

I provided the Nero information, in case someone would recommend Nero as an
alternative.

WC

David Candy

You refuse to listen to gurus like Martha Stewart, why wouldn't you expect problems? Wake up and buy Vogue.

I am not seeking an answer to my Nero issue. I apologize if my post
indicated such.

I am seeking a solution to the failure of Windows XP to burn CDs.

I provided the Nero information, in case someone would recommend Nero as an
alternative.

WC

MapleE.

Hi:
I suggest you to read the following thread.
There is a very detailed instruction as to XP CD Writing.

'Microsoft Public WindowsXP Photo,' dated 2/21/2006
12:12 p.m. "Saving Photos to CD."

BTW, I am XP CD Writing fun, although I have Roxio, priced
about $100.00 years ago.

If for some reason you're unable to open, please post back.

Darrell S

What are you formatting with? I don't use Windows CD writing but messages
in this group indicate you don't format it. You just write to it and
Windows formats on the fly. Perhaps you are using Nero to format it and
then trying to write to it using Windows?

XP has a tool for formatting cd-rw disks.

My intenet is to use Cd-R disks, but, during my research of this issue,
before posting it here, I found a KB, which I cited, that described CD-RW
burning problems. That's why I noted formatting & cd-rw disks. I apologize
for the confusion.

WC

MapleE.

Assuming you're reading and posting from Outlook Express:

Type : "microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos'
Tool at the top, click: account, then : microsoft.newsgroup

However, I did copy below:
The author is: Yves Alarie

To copy photos to CD-R or CD-RW using XP. (01-01-05)

1.. Insert a blank CD-R (or CD-RW) into your CD drive. Wait about 15-20
seconds for XP to recognize that a CD-R has been inserted. A window may
open, with a variety of options in it or no option in it. You don't need any
of the options in this window to copy to a CD-R. There is a Cancel button at
the bottom of this window. Click on it to close this window or click on the
red X square at the top right. If this window does not open, this is fine
just go to step 2.
2.. Click on My Computer and navigate to the folder where your pictures
are located. Open the folder so you can see the files you want to copy.
3.. You now need to select the files you want to copy. Do you want to copy
all the files in the folder? If so, hold the Ctrl key down and press the
letter A. This will select (highlight in blue) all the files in the folder.
If you want to select only some of the files, click on the first file you
want to select. Remove your finger from your mouse and move the mouse
pointer over the second file, hold the Ctrl key down and click on the second
file you want to select. Continue doing this until all the files you want to
copy are selected. Each time a file is selected it will be highlighted in
blue. If the files you want to select are listed in a row, you can do it
this way. Click on the first file, remove your finger from the mouse and
move the mouse pointer over the last file. Hold the Shift key down and click
on the last file you want. All the files between the first and last file you
clicked on will be highlighted in blue.
4.. Once you have selected the files you want to copy, look at the menu on
the left of the selected files. The top menu should be "Picture Tasks". The
last item listed under "Picture Tasks" is "Copy to CD". Click on it. The
other way is to right click on one of the selected pictures. A menu will
open. Click on Send To. Click on your CD drive on the opening list.
5.. The copying process will start (a small window opening at the top of
your screen indicating the progress, wait until completed, also you may not
see this window if you are copying just a few files because the operation is
too fast) and you will get a message, right hand corner bottom of your
screen, "You have files waiting." Click on it.
6.. A window will open. It will show you the photo files you just selected
to copy. Look at the menu on the left and click on "Write these files to CD"
..
7.. A Wizard box will open. Just follow the directions on the screen to
complete the job.
8.. Once you have copied the photos to the CD you may want to copy more to
it in the future. Just insert it instead of inserting a blank CD and follow
the same directions. Just make sure you have enough space on it to add more
photo files. A CD will hold 700 MB but with photo files, don't try to fill
it. Limit to about 200 - 300 photo files per CD and not more than a total of
600 MB. Otherwise it can take a long time to open this CD to view the files,
but if you don't mind the time you can fill it.
9.. During copying, you may get the following messages "File XXXX.jpg has
extra information..." or "The thumbnails information will be lost..." In
both cases, click on YES, not on Skip, in the message box.

Some problems with the above:

1.. You looked for the command "Copy to CD", but it is not there. If so,
repair this way.
Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the opening textbox:

REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL

And press the Enter key.

Note that there is a space between .32 and SHI..

You did the above, but still no "Copy to CD" command available. Go to step 2
below and check if your drive is set to recording.

MapleE:
Thanks for the test.
After the wizard opens, in step 7, the error message appears within the CD
Burning Wizard.

I have successfully used the XP CD writing wizard on other computers. On
THIS particular computer, the problem occurs.

I have searched the internet using multiple search engines & multiple search
strings. I have not been able to find a solution. I have tried every
recommendation mentioned in the threads I have found. I noted the things I
tried in my initial post of this thread.

The following, within your reply, does not appear.
"1.. You looked for the command "Copy to CD", but it is not there. If so,
repair this way."

But I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

WC

MapleE.

Hi:
I'm glad to know that your other computer has XP CD writing Wizard.

I didn't copy all of the thread this author wrote.
Then, I copy and paste the last part of this thread,as seeing you're still
having
a problem on one of your computers.

1.. You looked for the command "Copy to CD", but it is not there. If so,
repair this way.
Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the opening textbox:

REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL

And press the Enter key.

Note that there is a space between .32 and SHI..

You did the above, but still no "Copy to CD" command available. Go to step 2
below and check if your drive is set to recording.

2.. You can find the "Copy to CD" command but it still does not work.
Check if your drive is set for recording. Open My Computer, look under
Devices with removable storage and right click on your CD drive. Click on
Properties. A window will open. Click on the Recording tab at the top of
this window. Then check, Enable recording box. Also, check the box "Eject
after recording" .

You tried this, but you can't find a Recording tab when the window opens. If
so, update the CD driver so it is compatible with XP (particularly if you
upgraded to XP from 98 or ME) or something else is wrong as under items 3 or
4 below.

3.. You may have installed some CD copying software to copy music CDs. If
so, this may be interfering with XP. If you use Roxio, update your version
to at least 5.3 or above. If you have Roxio 7, use this to copy photo files.
Use the option Copy data files instead of copy music. If you have other
music CD copying software make sure you upgrade to a version that will not
interfere with XP or use this software to copy your photo files to CD.
4.. You may have purchased a new computer with a CD/DVD burner. If so, don
't use XP to copy to CD, use the software supplied by the manufacturer and
select the copy data files option if there is no specific copy photo files
option.
5.. Instead of using the Copy to CD command you used the Send to command
and no CD drive is listed there. If you upgraded to XP you should check that
you have a driver for your CD drive compatible with XP or first check that
your drive is Enable for recording as given above. Sometimes you get the
instruction to send to a writable CD drive on the list but you don't get
writable, you get drag and drop or simply the CD drive letter. Click on it,
provided you have checked that the drive is Enabled for recording.
6.. If none of the above works, check the manufacturer of the CD drive web
site for a driver compatible with XP, particularly if you upgraded to XP.