Access Cannot access Device Manager in Vista at all

Reaction score
Hello all,
I ama total novice and hope that I have categorized the problem in the right thread.

When I want to open the device manager it will not let me open it and a note comes up saying: The device cannot be started as it is either not enabled or has not any enabled devices associated with it.

I looked up so many tips on the internet but cannot find anything related to the device manager itself as I found plenty of problem solving related answers for devices in device manager but not for the device manager itself. I cannot even download anything as the device manager will not allow it and it does not seem to matter what it is.

I have no disc for the vista either, as this came pre-installed from Medion, which I rang. They told me to just put the disc in and it would repair itself.

Are there any other things I could do to enable the device manager itself?

Please help, as I am struggle to find an answer for the last four weeks:blush:

Reaction score
Have you installed SP1? If so uninstall it and try again as there is a conflict after installing SP1 On some ocassions.

Reaction score
Hi, thank you very much for your reply, but I cannot even install anything as the device manager will not allow it.

Any other help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Press control+alt+delete [together] and tell me what you see

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welshwaters said:
I have no disc for the vista either, as this came pre-installed from Medion, which I rang. They told me to just put the disc in and it would repair itself.

How long have you had the computer for.? If it is still under warranty then take it back, don't bother trying to repair it yourself..
As for you not having the disk, call Medion again and tell them you want your disk..Wether it came pre-installed or not, you paid for the licence and legally they have to supply you with the disk...Its an arguement I have had many ttimes and an arguement I have always won..

Reaction score
Hi Madxgraphics,
thank you for your reply. That's a great idea, I will ring them straight away on Monday morning, hopefully I get somewhere with them.

Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
Hi all,

after sitting on the internet all night to find a solution a guy from the Netherlands finally gave me a solution. I logged on in safe mode and did a system restore and it worked! My computer is now back to normal, thanks to all who tried to help me with this matter.

Ask a Question