Cannon Powershot A520

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hello all, Was hoping someone could tell me if this is any good. have found it in a couple of places, Pixmania & Amazon do it for about the same price with the 512 card.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86105/art/canon/powershot-a520-secure-dig.html

2 Questions, 1 - Is the camera any good? 2 - does the make of memory card make any difference, or are they all the same?

I opted for the 512 card coz i would rather have to much space than to little! Will that be enough?

Found this on the comet website, is it about right?

table2.gif

Cheers!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have a kodak, havent got it here so dont know the exact model but its 5.1MP and with a 128MB card i can get around 80 pics on it

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Hello all, Was hoping someone could tell me if this is any good. have found it in a couple of places, Pixmania & Amazon do it for about the same price with the 512 card.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86105/art/canon/powershot-a520-secure-dig.html

2 Questions, 1 - Is the camera any good? 2 - does the make of memory card make any difference, or are they all the same?

I opted for the 512 card coz i would rather have to much space than to little! Will that be enough?

There is nothing wrong with your choice, if you like it go for it! :)

As for memory cards buying generic cards is not advisable, go for a reliable brand like Sandisk or Lexar, don't forget the card holds all your memories if you loose it just because you saved 10% or 20% buying a generic one, you will regret it. I have used Lexar and Sandisk and have had no problems. A520 uses SD and MMC cards, go for SD they tend to be faster in comparision. 512 is more than sufficient for anybody's needs using this camera. At higest resolution the file size would be 2.1MB so a 512 card would accomodate more than 250 pictures. The transfer speed would be between 300 to 600 kb/sec ( depending on how fast your computer is).

The chart you posted is correct when its comes to approx no of pictures at given MP size.

You also would be better off using the optional batteries
[font=arial,helvetica][font=arial,helvetica]AA-size rechargeable NiMH batteries NB4-200 (sold separately), these would be cheaper in the long run.

Get a case to protect your camera as well.

Lastly if you are not familiar with the White Balance Settings of the camera I would urge you to go through my article on same for better understanding of the White Balance and getting your pictures right in terms of colour.

There are many useful posts here on the forum, so when you get time go through them. If you have any questions on the subject just ask :)

[/font]
[/font]

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thank's Quad, dident have time to read the other posts untill today, but they helped me out, cheers. I did notice on the cameras specs that its usb1 is that something to worry about? Cheers for the advice!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Thank's Quad, dident have time to read the other posts untill today, but they helped me out, cheers. I did notice on the cameras specs that its usb1 is that something to worry about? Cheers for the advice!

Most of the camera's have USB 1.1 so it's not something you should worry about. Only recently some expensive prosumer and SLR's have been introduced with USB 2.0. However, a card reader would come extremly handy, they are not very expensive and you can add one later. Nowadays there are 6 in 1 and even 8 in 1 readers available which are a good buy.

Good Luck with your purchase. Don't forget to come back and tell us about your experience.:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well from what i have read you are the man to ask! You seem to know your stuff! I Will lets you know just thinking about ordering it now........

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I do have one last qustion, Sorry if this has been covered already, but i have not been able to find an answer elsewhere. I've been told to only fill the memory card up half way, as this keeps it in peak performance. Is this true!? I'm guessin not. I dont claim to be very knowledgeable myself (but this site has helped alot!) but am sure he's talking out of his a**e!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
I do have one last qustion, Sorry if this has been covered already, but i have not been able to find an answer elsewhere. I've been told to only fill the memory card up half way, as this keeps it in peak performance. Is this true!? I'm guessin not. I dont claim to be very knowledgeable myself (but this site has helped alot!) but am sure he's talking out of his a**e!

I have read hundreds of reviews of camera's as well as memory cards, besides, having first hand feedback from many users. On top of all that, I have been using the cards myself for years now. I can assure you that I have never read about using the card to half the capacity and improving the performace. If you ever come across this issue anywhere I would be obliged if you let me know.

In my experience I have never really noted the difference when using half the capacity or full capacity. Yes the difference is there in speed of transfer when using the card reader.

I am sorry I have not been really able to answer your question but the fact remains this has never crossed my eyes during my usual research.

On the side note, you can ask the person to quote his source, that way we will know if it is really the case.

Cheers!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio: I'd say your assumption is quite correct. Yes, it would appear your friend is using another part of his anatomy other than his mouth to speak.

I've been using compact flash cards for 2.5 years now and have filled them up on many occasions. I have never noticed a drop in performance.

It is important, however, that when you take delivery of any new memory card, you format it before use. Your camera manual will tell you how to do that.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I never said he was my friend! just some guy i see in the smoking room at work, Thinks he knows everything! Didnt think it was true, wanted to run it by you guys. Is this the best i can get for money? 200 quids about as much as i wanna spend. Thanks dudes!

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Vanilla Radio: I'd say your assumption is quite correct. Yes, it would appear your friend is using another part of his anatomy other than his mouth to speak.

oh yer!!! :)

lol that has comment has made my night!!!! :) thats well funny hahahahaha!

very nicely put there Flopps.

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
I never said he was my friend! just some guy i see in the smoking room at work, Thinks he knows everything! Didnt think it was true, wanted to run it by you guys. Is this the best i can get for money? 200 quids about as much as i wanna spend. Thanks dudes!

well we all know what we can learn from this!?

NICOTINE! although I presume it was nicotine this bloke was smoking! it doesnt have a good effect on the mind whatsoever. so if your a smoker and your reading this never mix smoking with talking about the Cannon Powershot A520! thats a very dangerous combination!

lol :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99: Man, what you on, I could do with some of that :D

As for nicotine, no defense, no excuses, no justification, but - I smoke :( I bad. I stupid.

But.

Don't ever tell me what to do.

At least, in the UK, we still have the freedom to be as stupid as we like ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you wish to start all over again take a look at Canon A95 which is just under 200 quids as well. Choose between the two if you like.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
PSD: Dude your mad! But thats prob why i find you funny! I Will try and take your advice on board, Dunno if its gonna make a difference! :D

Flops: i agree with what you're saying, But it is deffo stupid! (And pricy now) But until they make it illegal i will prob still do it!

Quad:This may not suprise you much but, He said it was the salesman in PC World where he bought it from. I've read some bad press about them here and elsewhere. Sounds like the sales guy was trying to get him to part with a bit more cash than he needs to maybe!?

As for the camera, i think i gonna stick with the A520, just wanted to be sure that there wasn't one out there that i had missed.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, you helped me out again!

Cheers, Until the next time!!

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
At least, in the UK, we still have the freedom to be as stupid as we like ;)

yes thats right nwver underestimate the power of STUPIDITY!!!!! :)

Ask a Question