Can You Really Mail a Coconut?

Reaction score
Another one doing the email rounds from wisegeek!:lol:

Believe it or not, the United States Postal Service (USPS) does allow ordinary citizens to mail a coconut without any additional packaging required. It is just as easy to mail a coconut as it is to ship a standard package or crate. The USPS views a coconut as a self-contained unit, one which cannot be easily tampered with by criminals or readily examined by postal inspectors. As long as the coconut contains both a proper address label and sufficient postage, the USPS will literally mail a coconut for you.

We have the Hawaiian tourist trade to thank for the ability to mail a coconut. Visitors to Hawaii can often purchase a souvenir coconut instead of a traditional paper postcard. These gift coconuts may be elaborately decorated with local scenes or other traditional Hawaiian art. All that is required to mail a coconut souvenir "postcard" is an address and proof of postage. Hawaiian branches of the USPS are accustomed to helping tourists who wish to mail a coconut back to the mainland.

Although Hawaii or other tropical locales may be the most common places from which to mail a coconut, there really are no restrictions on the practice within the United States. Anyone can literally pick up a coconut from a local grocery store and affix a mailing label to it. The local mail carriers may not be entirely thrilled to lug a coconut around all day, but it is perfectly legal to mail a coconut instead of an envelope.

Of course, there may be a few flies in the ointment if you should decide to mail a coconut instead of a first-class letter for all of your correspondence. The novelty of receiving a mailed coconut is bound to wear off quickly, and not everything can be safely delivered via a system straight out of Gilligan's Island. While it might be considered a nice gesture to mail a coconut to your frozen relatives while vacationing in Hawaii, try not to get too carried away the rest of the year. Even postal loopholes have limits.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well, some fancypants newyorkers can actually buy tumbleweeds from the souhwest. they use as sort of decoration i suppose... dont know why they would, got them all over the place here :D

Reaction score
When i was last in the Lone Star State wished i had known about sending coconuts by mail, my friends in the USA would have been so pleased to get one in the mail.;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats plain nuts
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
How is God's name am I supposed to fit a coconut through my franking machine?
laughingsmiley.gif

And sticky labels won't work because the 'nut is too furry!
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
CITech said:
How is God's name am I supposed to fit a coconut through my
franking machine?
laughingsmiley.gif

And sticky labels won't work because the 'nut is too furry!
laughingsmiley.gif
I think you need to think outside the box (or the coconut) for this one!:rolleyes:

Ask a Question