Can Outlook 97 forms be read from Access?

jmev7

We have to constantly retype data endered in an Outlook 97 form into
an Access 97 database. Is there code I can use to read the data in the
form fields? Will it be necessary to upgrade to Office 2003 before I
can get good control over this? We plan to upgrade soon (I _hope_),
but in the mean time, I am hoping I can do some of this in Office 97.

Thanks in advance for the chunks of wisdom.

Andrew Cushen

This can be done using VBA from Access; however, Outlook
97-98 do not support VBA. Outlook 2000 was the first
version to support VBA.

Looks like you'll have to wait until you upgrade! Sorry.

-Andrew Cushen

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Just to clarify: Outlook 97 and 98 do not have a built-in VBA IDE, but they
certainly can be automated using Access code to read the items.

It's also possible to add code to custom Outlook 97/98 forms to update an
Access database.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

jmev7

OK, now you've got me excited, Sue. How can I find out how to automate
the reading of these Outlook 97 forms from Access 97, and possibly how
to add custom Outlook 97 forms to update an Access database?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Like other Office applications, Outlook can be automated using VBA code,
including Access VBA. If you're new to VBA macros, you might start at
http://www.outlookcode.com/d/vb.htm

See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/database.htm for links to information on
using DAO to talk to Access databases from Outlook. A lot of samples are
available.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Just to clarify: Outlook 97 and 98 do not have a built-in VBA IDE, but they
certainly can be automated using Access code to read the items.

It's also possible to add code to custom Outlook 97/98 forms to update an
Access database.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

jmev7

Thanks again, Sue. I will read into this a bit more, but it looks
hopeless unless I can get the company to upgrade. They are actually on
Outlook 98, I think I kept saying 97 because the rest of Office is
version 97.

I am well versed in VBA and can figure out what I need from an object
model, but it does look like I'm going to need to purchase your book,
if it can give me the full specs on developing forms and communicating
with them. I have done an extensive amount with Access, Word & Excel,
so I should be alright to pick up Outlook VBA--once I have a VBA
compatible version at my disposal.

Thanks again.