Can Not Demote DC with DCPROMO

Hi

I promoted a new server to a domain controller. The server I wanted to demote and make a member server. When I ran DCPROMO all look fine. After the reboot the server still shows it self as a domain controller. I can not manage any local accounts nor can I logon locally. When I tried to run DCPROMO again, I receive the following error, "There are currently no logon servers available to service logon request". However, I logon to the server using a domain account. There are no netlogon or sysvol shares on this server

Any thoughts??

Thanks

David

Sriram.V

HI

In an environment that relies on Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to
resolve NetBIOS names, the error message "There are no logon servers
available to service the logon request" appears if you are an administrator
and you do one or more of the following:

You attempt to remotely administer a trusted domain. For example, you use
File Manager to assign share permissions to users from the trusted domain.
You attempt to select the trusted domain in User Manager for Domains.

The WINS database does not have the proper domain registrations for pass-
through authentication. See the more information section below for more
details.

This problem occurs most often in environments where the administrator has
created a two-way trust between two previously independent domains. Most
often, there are WINS servers in each domain and the WINS servers do not
replicate their databases to each other.

To resolve this problem you have to

allow WINS dynamic registration.

This ensures that Domain Controllers register their DOMAIN<1C> NetBIOS
names with the WINS Server.
Make certain that WINS database replication is successful between WINS
Servers. Missing database entries for domain names may indicate Problems
with the WINS Servers and replication.

For more information on this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;139410

Thanks
Sriram.V

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgV3JpZ2h0?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Can Not Demote DC with DCPROMO
| Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:01:10 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Hi,

I promoted a new server to a domain controller. The server I wanted to
demote and make a member server. When I ran DCPROMO all look fine. After
the reboot the server still shows it self as a domain controller. I can not
manage any local accounts nor can I logon locally. When I tried to run
DCPROMO again, I receive the following error, "There are currently no logon
servers available to service logon request". However, I logon to the server
using a domain account. There are no netlogon or sysvol shares on this
server.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

David

(e-mail address removed)

Sriram.V

Hi

You could also have a look at this link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306927&Product=win20
00

Thanks
Sriram.V

(e-mail address removed)

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Sriram.V)
| Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:45:19 GMT
| Subject: RE: Can Not Demote DC with DCPROMO
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| HI
|
| In an environment that relies on Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to
| resolve NetBIOS names, the error message "There are no logon servers
| available to service the logon request" appears if you are an
administrator
| and you do one or more of the following:
|
| You attempt to remotely administer a trusted domain. For example, you use
| File Manager to assign share permissions to users from the trusted domain.
| You attempt to select the trusted domain in User Manager for Domains.
|
| The WINS database does not have the proper domain registrations for pass-
| through authentication. See the more information section below for more
| details.
|
| This problem occurs most often in environments where the administrator
has
| created a two-way trust between two previously independent domains. Most
| often, there are WINS servers in each domain and the WINS servers do not
| replicate their databases to each other.
|
| To resolve this problem you have to
|
| allow WINS dynamic registration.
|
| This ensures that Domain Controllers register their DOMAIN<1C> NetBIOS
| names with the WINS Server.
| Make certain that WINS database replication is successful between WINS
| Servers. Missing database entries for domain names may indicate Problems
| with the WINS Servers and replication.
|
| For more information on this issue
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;139410
|
| Thanks
| Sriram.V
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgV3JpZ2h0?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Can Not Demote DC with DCPROMO
| | Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:01:10 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| |
| | Hi,
|
| I promoted a new server to a domain controller. The server I wanted to
| demote and make a member server. When I ran DCPROMO all look fine. After
| the reboot the server still shows it self as a domain controller. I can
not
| manage any local accounts nor can I logon locally. When I tried to run
| DCPROMO again, I receive the following error, "There are currently no
logon
| servers available to service logon request". However, I logon to the
server
| using a domain account. There are no netlogon or sysvol shares on this
| server.
|
| Any thoughts???
|
| Thanks,
|
| David
| |

| (e-mail address removed)

rights.

Tim Hines [MSFT]

Are you saying that you had one DC and you promoted another then demoted the
existing one? If you demoted the existing DC before the new one had fully
synced AD and the sysvol share than that may explain the problem. If the
new DC does not have sysvol and netlogon then it not operate as one. It is
also likely that the other DC was not successfully demoted and you may have
to perform a metadata cleanup. There is an article to t-shoot missing
netlogon and sysvol shares and there is one that explains how to perform a
metadata cleanup. They should help you fix this issues. I've included them
below

HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
Controller Demotion
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216498

Troubleshooting Missing SYSVOL and NETLOGON Shares on Windows 2000 Domain
Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257338

Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000 Directory Services