can I use both Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 on the same pc ?

Lynn McGuire

Can I use both Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 on the same pc ?

I have licenses for both.

Thanks,
Lynn

Jim Cone

And install them in separate folders - even better is on separate partitions.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Lynn McGuire" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Can I use both Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 on the same pc ?
I have licenses for both.
Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn McGuire

Yes, you can.

Install 2003 first then 2010.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

I did install Excel 2003 then 2010. 2010 removed the 2003 install.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn McGuire

And install them in separate folders - even better is on separate partitions.

How do you do that ?

And can you select between them for which one comes up
when another app invokes Excel ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Gord Dibben

2010 install will remove 2003 only if you let it.

Pay attention at beginning of 2010 installation procedure.

Gord

Jim Cone

Re: "How do you do that."
The installation routine (wizard) provides an option to specify the install location.
A new folder is created in Windows Explorer by selecting a directory and then on the Windows Explorer menu choosing File | New.
A separate partition or drive was/is determined by the builder of your computer.
Either you have one or you don't.
Note: Do not install programs on removable drives: floppy, CD, DVD, portable drives, etc.

Re: "And can you select between them..."
The last version installed becomes the default. That can be changed after installation by modifying the registry.
I use Excel version icons in the Windows Quick Launch toolbar to choose which Excel version I want to use.
The Excel version that is currently in use is the one used when new files are opened.

Also...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091
"Information about using 2007 Office suites and programs on a computer that is running another version of Office"

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

wrote in message
And install them in separate folders - even better is on separate partitions.

How do you do that ?

And can you select between them for which one comes up
when another app invokes Excel ?

Thanks,
Lynn

joeu2004

The Excel version that is currently in use is the one used when
new files are opened.

That was the case with WinXP and Office2003. I'm not sure which
controls that behavior.

But recently, here or in the Answers Forum, someone indicated that
that had changed with Win7 and/or Office 2007 or 2010. They said that
new files were always opened in the __first__ instance of Excel, not
the last active one.

Any truth to that? If so, is it configurable?

I depend on files being opened in the last active instance of Excel.

Lynn McGuire

That was the case with WinXP and Office2003. I'm not sure which
controls that behavior.

But recently, here or in the Answers Forum, someone indicated that
that had changed with Win7 and/or Office 2007 or 2010. They said that
new files were always opened in the __first__ instance of Excel, not
the last active one.

Any truth to that? If so, is it configurable?

I depend on files being opened in the last active instance of Excel.

I now have both Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 installed and working
OK. However, only Excel 2010 comes up when called by other
software. Even if Excel 2003 was run last.

I would guess that this is configurable but sounds like a tricky
session with RegEdit.

Lynn

Jim Cone

Warning: following comments apply only to WindowsXP, on other operating systems, your mileage may vary.
Note: These are the rules that I believe apply. Feel free to disagree.

1. Last version installed is the default (unless registry modified - see below)
2. Excel is closed - default version opens when an Excel file is opened.
3. Excel is open - newly opened files appear in the open Excel version.
4. Multiple Excel versions open - files open in the version calling the file.
5. Third party applications starting a new Excel instance will probably? open the default version.

To change the default version of Excel...
Close Excel
Start Menu | Run
Use the full file path to Excel, note that /regserver is outside the quote marks.
(the file paths shown are apply to my system only, use your own)

Enter this first to disassociate an excel version...
"F:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\Excel.exe" /unregserver

Then enter this to specify the default version...
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

wrote in message
[...]

I am using Windows 7 x64.

The default excel is excel 2010 but I installed excel 2003 last.

The /unregserver command is not working on Excel 2010. It starts
Excel 2010 instead. I created a bat file to switch to excel 2003:

rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version...
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver

rem Then enter this to specify the default version...
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn McGuire

I am using Windows 7 x64.

The default excel is excel 2010 but I installed excel 2003 last.

The /unregserver command is not working on Excel 2010. It starts
Excel 2010 instead. I created a bat file to switch to excel 2003:

rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version...
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver

rem Then enter this to specify the default version...
"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver

BTW, I totally removed Office 2003 and Office 2010 from my pc.
Then I reinstalled 2003 in a new location. And 2010 to the
default location (tried to change it but seemed to miss the
location directory on the install). The /unregserver and
/regserver commands now work.

Thanks,
Lynn