    Bonus question:

    Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
    notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

    XP Guy, Nov 27, 2008

  2. XP Guy

    Twayne Guest

    Re: Can I trick XP into thinking it installed a certain critical update (kb095474)

    > If I have "hidden" kb095474 when performing manual updates, will XP
    > still try to download it if I fully enable automatic updates?

    No, pretty sure no.

    > Can I fool XP into thinking that it downloaded and installed kb095474
    > (windows genuine advantage notification) so that if automatic updates
    > are fully enabled then it will not download it? Perhaps by installing
    > certain modified files that I might be able to find on the net? Or
    > changing/adding registry entries?

    No, you'd be months trying to get the infor together, and in the end
    would have installed the update.

    This whole first part doesn't make sense to me.

    > Bonus question:
    >
    > Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
    > notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

    So that no one downloads the bad one again; only the fixed one. So
    what's the problem with downloding it?

    Twayne

    Twayne, Nov 28, 2008

  3. XP Guy

    Swifty Guest

    Twayne wrote:
    >> Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
    >> notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

    > So that no one downloads the bad one again; only the fixed one. So
    > what's the problem with downloding it?

    It seem to me that WGA downloads almost every time that I apply updates.
    It doesn't worry me, as my system is as genuine as they come.
    I've always assumed that the detection of non-genuine systems has to
    change frequently to keep up with the pirates latest tricks. In the same
    way as my antibodies have to adapt to the latest disease that is
    attempting to lay me low.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

    Swifty, Nov 28, 2008
  4. XP Guy

    Kelly Guest

    Re: Can I trick XP into thinking it installed a certain critical update (kb095474)

    Yes. Either modify the .vbs from line 266:

    Or manually make the changes via the registry.

    Added note: On line 402 (right hand side) I have a SP Blocker kit listed:

    All the Best and Happy Holidays,
    Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Kelly, Dec 4, 2008