Can I retrieve a previous version of a file I have saved over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just pressed Save and closed out of a document then realised that I saved over top of an existing document rather than saved it as a new one. So now the original document has gone.

From the properties information, I can see that there have been 5 previous versions of the document (all in the last 24 hours), does anyone know if, or how I can retieve any of them? Ideally using a free method?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Thanks for that link it has great information, but sadly it hasn't quite solved my problem. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 2007, but when I open the Explorer window, right-click on a file I am trying to retrieve an earlier version of, I don't get the option to select “Restore Previous Versions.” The only options in the dropdown box are: "Explore, Open, Edit, New, Print, Open with..., Share, Scan with Virus Protection, Virus vault, Send to, Cut, Copy, Create shortcut, Delete, Rename, Properties".
If I click on the properties option the only tabs I get are "General, Security, Custom, Details". "Previous versions" is not showing up at all.
Does anone know how I can locate this?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately the previous versions feature only works in the Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista :(.

If it's an old document, it's also unlikely that you'll be able to find a temp file anywhere with the information in it. You could try some data recovery software like Recuva (free), but I think the data will be long gone by now :(. Other than that, your only hope would be backups.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks very much for your help.
The document isn't old, I created it about 36 hours ago and only saved over it about 18 hours, and I haven't shut down since then. I'll have a look at Recuva, otherwise it looks like a retype.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question