Can I format my c: drive and keep my f: drive?

I have a computer with a c: drive and a f: drive. The f: drive contains the
programs that came with the machine that could be used to recover or
reinstall the programs in the event of a disaster. This machine is now
infected with several trojans and viruses. I would like to re-format the c;
drive and re-install from the f: drive. The machine I am talking about has
had no back ups so it would be useless to back it up now since it would
likely transport the trojans. Please don't flame me about backing up or virus
software, I realize all that. This is a machine that I am working on for a
friend who was computer illiterate. I simply need to have suggestions about
the best way to accomplish this. I know that I can format the drive from
within "my computer" It has XP Professional on it. What I don't know is what
I will find or be able to do after the reformat.

Also, if a machine has a back up and I reformatted the c: drive, what can I
do to make sure that I don't lose anything that has been added since the last
backup with out recopying the c: drive where the trojans reside.

I use Trend-Micro internet security 2007 as my virus software. Never any
problems there unless you override the software warnings.

Again, please no flames just info will be appreciated.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

See below.

The G-Man said:
I have a computer with a c: drive and a f: drive. The f: drive contains the
programs that came with the machine that could be used to recover or
reinstall the programs in the event of a disaster.

What programs are they? Will they restore the machine to
"factory condition"?
This machine is now
infected with several trojans and viruses. I would like to re-format the c;
drive and re-install from the f: drive. The machine I am talking about has
had no back ups so it would be useless to back it up now since it would
likely transport the trojans. Please don't flame me about backing up or virus
software, I realize all that. This is a machine that I am working on for a
friend who was computer illiterate. I simply need to have suggestions about
the best way to accomplish this. I know that I can format the drive from
within "my computer".

No, you can't - Windows won't let you.
It has XP Professional on it. What I don't know is what
I will find or be able to do after the reformat.

You will need to re-install Windows, using your WinXP installation
CD.
Also, if a machine has a back up and I reformatted the c: drive, what can I
do to make sure that I don't lose anything that has been added since the last
backup with out recopying the c: drive where the trojans reside.

When you say "anything", are you referring to your installed programs?
You will have to re-install each and every one of them, using the same
media you used when you first installed them.

db

hello g,

the first problem you will have
is that the boot.ini is always stored
on the primary partition which is
usually the c drive.

if you format the c drive, you won't
be able to boot anywhere.

so do you have a new question?

- db
[...]

maybe i was a bit to abrupt and
possibly what you might want to do
is simply delete everything off the c drive
except the root directory.

then if you can successfully reboot back
into the f drive, then you can begin deleting
superfulous files from the root directory and
eventually modify the boot ini to
boot directly to the f drive.

let us know what happens...

ps: make an emergency boot disk before
you begin the surgical removal of unwanted
files from the c drive. (also, copy over
the boot.ini file to the cd - just in case)

- db
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message hello g,

[...]

Rock

The G-Man said:
[...]

You can't format the drive that XP is installed on or the one where the boot
files are, from within Windows.

If there is a recovery partition, when the system is booted is there some
info about a certain F key to press to invoke the recovery process? If not
then check the documentation that come with the computer for how to do a
restore or contact the computer's tech support and/or check on their website
for the info.

The programs are the operating system and other programs installed by the
manufacturer such as Microsofts Works, etc. I believe they would restopre the
machine to 5the original condition.

Could I use an external back up copy the f: drive, reformat the disk, and
reinstall from the f: drive. Would I need to partition the drive before I
attemted to restore?

Thanks

G-Man

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Yes, you can use an external disk to copy drive F:, provided
that you boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD for the copy
process. However, since your installation is damaged by viruses,
this method will most likely port the damage to the reformatted
disk.