Can download Defender....Will NOT install

Discussion in 'Anti-Spyware Installation' started by Guest, Oct 6, 2006.

    I got Windows Live OneCare and installed it. I got the yellow light telling
    me to take the action of downloading Windows Defender. Apparently this is
    impossible. I downloaded the installer packager with no trouble. However,
    when I tried to install it I got a message telling me to install the Windows
    Installer Package 3.1. I did that with no problems as well.

    When I tried to start the install again, I now always get a message saying
    this:

    A required update to Windows Update is available at the Windows Update
    website (how's that for a redudant sentence). To view a list of all
    installation requirements, visit the Microsoft website:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=63848.

    I go there and it lets me know the requirements for this program.........all
    of which I already have. My automatic updates are all turned on. I
    contacted Microsoft support and the customer service rep informs me that
    there is only web support for Defender, no phone support. So........how is
    it that I am supposed to install this program? Surely I'm not the only one
    this has happened to.

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006

    Dave M Guest

    No, you most definatly are not the only one, and if you had searched for
    the link:
    for example, you'd find the hundreds of other people that have gotten that
    same
    message, and asked about it in these newsgroups. Here's the usual
    suggestion:

    The general response to such install problems is to keep going back to
    Windows Update, doing Express scans, until no more updates are offered.

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Oct 6, 2006

    --I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
    desktop.

    After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
    antivirus for long enough to do the installation.

    (Stop all programs that are open in the bottom taskbar) etc. etc.. This
    may be worth trying in your cªse.

    I hope this post is helpful, let us know how it works ºut.
    Еиçеl

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006

    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not (I'm going to assume you are classy
    and therefore aren't), I did research the problem fairly extensively before I
    resorted to posting here in the hopes that there was something I missed.

    But it is evident that with these products that the generic answer always
    seems to be the definitive one.

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006
  5. I'm unclear about whether you've followed Dave M's advice (which is what I
    would give) yet?

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Oct 6, 2006