    budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
    DSL connection and the LAN itself?

    Thanks

    nde, Mar 13, 2004

  2. nde

    Herb Martin Guest

    If you had Server then the answer might be NetMon which is built-in
    to that product.

    I use (free) WinDump and Ethereal.
    (easily findable through Google.)

    Also, although technically not a network monitor, Snort is a lot of
    help if you are monitoring what is entering and leaving your network.

    www.Snort.org and winsnort.com

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Mar 13, 2004

  3. nde

    phoenix Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:58:39 -0800, nde wrote:

    > I have a win2k domain with Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE
    > clients with a DSL internet connection. Can anyone
    > recommend a good network monitoring tool for a tight
    > budget that can let me see the throughput/activity of the
    > DSL connection and the LAN itself?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi

    If all you want to do is monitor traffic on several devices you can use
    SNMP & MRTG. If you install MRTG Bundle it will give you a complete 'out of
    the box' package that will give you the stats you need.

    HTH

    Regards

    Bill

    phoenix, Mar 13, 2004
  4. Ethereal that Herb mentions is very nice. I was using it yesterday and it
    has some great options as far as printing or dumping to a text file
    including just specific line ranges and amount of detail that you want to
    dump or print. You will have to install WinPcap also which is available at
    the link below as is Ethereal.--- Steve

    http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

    Steven L Umbach, Mar 14, 2004
  5. nde

    Herb Martin Guest

    If you like Ethereal, don't overlook WinDump too -- for those times
    when you just want to run something to dump the results into a text
    file -- it's console based.

    I use both -- and sometimes MS NetMon.

    --
    Herb Martin