Calling Armchair Detectives...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Not so much Magnum P.I. as Internet Eyes.

It's a CCTV monitoring scheme, which will relay footage directly to the home PCs, of those who register. In return, they watch for shoplifters, etc., in real time.

There is a "carrot" being offered, in the form of a possible £1000 monthly "reward" for viewers who reach the top of the "leaderboard." Full story here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Don't know what to make of that really but my first reaction is - sick.

A whole nation of snoopers taking net curtain twitching to a new level.

Best not nip into that shop doorway in a deserted street for a swift knee-trembler in the early hours of the morning - somebody is bound to grass you up and you'll be in the back of a meat wagon before you can say 'How was it for you darling'.

Bah humbug.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Sounds like the Stasi.

AND, I note you have to pay to be a snooper - £2 a month! That will put off the majority.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I am rather inclined to agree Sir Floppington. I can see this appealing to the busy-body types, who itch to report absolutely anything, from your aforementioned knee-trembler, lol, to the unfortunate guy who looks suspicious, because he's fumbling around, trying to change his glasses, whilst juggling with a tin whose label he's trying to read. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tattoo a number on babies foreheads and implant a identification chip in them and the powers that be will be able to track them 24//7. Then we won't need such inefficient amateurish attempts at control.

Bring back Hitler's Gestapo or Stalin's NKVD is what I say. ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What a load of garbage and you have to pay for the priveledge too..

Hope this dies a quick death..

Also what about your privacy rights surely this invades that privacy, I know security companies and councils using CCTV have strict conduct codes, but this will not be the case with the general public sitting at home watching and recording this stuff..

A case for human rights I think!

Ask a Question