Buying a laptop - as a desktop replacement

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I had been very busy doing research since last 10 days as I was confronted with the task of replacing my aging laptop (Thinkpad T21). This time I was also considering to give up my desktop in the office and use just one machine instead. This would relieve me of the cumbersome process of having to deal with two machines in terms of updating, maintaining and backing up.

Finally yesterday I ended up with a brand new laptop, Thinkpad T41 (TC 12F UK). Its a beautiful machine in the sense that it is intended for people who are serious about using it for work (gamers need not apply). I also ordered the docking station (4 weeks for delivery) and the additional 256 MB Ram for a total of 512 MB (3-5 days for delivery). The laptop has a 40 GB 5400 RPM HD installed. I have also got a nice mobile drive from Lacie (40 GB, USB 2.0, which fits in a shirt pocket) for backing up my work. Depending on just one HD is a suicide.

I did a lot of research before I made the choice, in the process, read a lot of white papers, visited many websites for reviews, considered various options to go for etc etc.

I am actually loaded with information now, if anyone of you are considering to buy a laptop I would be happy to share any information for the purpose of guidance. Mainly I did research on Dell's and IBM's and the newer technology "Centrino".

The next few days I will be busy updating the software and customising it for use, plan to give up the desktop in the office after getting the docking station.

Lacie Mobile Drive USB 2.0

Thinkpad T41 (TC 12F UK)

Reaction score
Quad,

what did you find was best for battery life? this would be the main factor for me when buying a laptop. obviously power would have to be sacrificed for this.

James

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Techy
Quad,

what did you find was best for battery life? this would be the main factor for me when buying a laptop. obviously power would have to be sacrificed for this.

James

It entirely depends on your needs, however, Centrino's are good when it comes to battery life. This laptop does about 4.7 hours on the battery as per specs and also what the users have to say. One can make changes to various power schemes and get more juice out of it as well.

You can also buy extended life batteries as well if it is a concern for you. Longer battery life is obviously a must for those who are on the go all the time.

I had read that there are ways to maximise the battery by tweaking a few things like, turning down to a lower brightness level and turning off the wireless lan if it is not needed. By far, these two have been mentioned again and again on many forums by users of Centrino laptops and what their own experience has been. Although I have yet to verify these but have no reason to dispute the suggestions.

I hope I have addressed your query properly if not please do not hesitate to ask any specific question.

Ask a Question