Burned hard disk

Matir

I've burned my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB hard disk :( yesterday by a
mistake I did, what is impossible-I pluged power cable in wrong
way-inversely. Computer had started for 0,1s and turned down instantly(only
the power led once blinked). Now, I think that disk make a short-circuit,
becouse when it is connected, the computer don't start up.But when I
disconnect this drive, it starts correctly and other disks work.

Did anybody have the same problem? I need to recover my files...

I've found identic disk on Ebay (the same size, type, firmware). If I
replace elektronic from new one to burned one will it works? Is there any
chances that hard disk destroy new controller?

Thanks for help.

Matir

BruceM

Very hard to plug in the wrong way!!!
Try changing the pins to master or slave? (depending on your arrangement)
Did you cut & join some wires yourself?

Jamie

I have a bad drive here and a pig tail molex cable and I tried to put it in
and I was less then successful so either you cut your molex or your Eric
Banna on steriods(the hulk) lol

philo

Matir said:
I've burned my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB hard disk :( yesterday by a
mistake I did, what is impossible-I pluged power cable in wrong
way-inversely. Computer had started for 0,1s and turned down
instantly(only
the power led once blinked). Now, I think that disk make a short-circuit,
becouse when it is connected, the computer don't start up.But when I
disconnect this drive, it starts correctly and other disks work.

Did anybody have the same problem? I need to recover my files...

I've found identic disk on Ebay (the same size, type, firmware). If I
replace elektronic from new one to burned one will it works? Is there any
chances that hard disk destroy new controller?

it's worth a try...
but i don't know how you could have put the power plug in backwards

Michael C

Matir said:
I've found identic disk on Ebay (the same size, type, firmware). If I
replace elektronic from new one to burned one will it works? Is there any
chances that hard disk destroy new controller?

There's a very good chance that will work. I've seen it work on drives of
the same type but different size.

Michael

John McGaw

philo said:
it's worth a try...
but i don't know how you could have put the power plug in backwards

If it doesn't fit, don't force it -- get a bigger hammer instead?

GT

Matir said:
I've burned my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB hard disk :( yesterday by a
mistake I did, what is impossible-I pluged power cable in wrong
way-inversely. Computer had started for 0,1s and turned down
instantly(only
the power led once blinked). Now, I think that disk make a short-circuit,
becouse when it is connected, the computer don't start up.But when I
disconnect this drive, it starts correctly and other disks work.

Did anybody have the same problem? I need to recover my files...

I've found identic disk on Ebay (the same size, type, firmware). If I
replace elektronic from new one to burned one will it works? Is there any
chances that hard disk destroy new controller?

Thanks for help.

How did you get the connector in the wrong way round - the plastic is shaped
so it only fits one way?

kony

"Matir" <[email protected]> wrote in message
How did you get the connector in the wrong way round - the plastic is shaped
so it only fits one way?

Good question.

I've read of one person doing it after they had used one of
those inline fan adapters, they had swapped the 5V and 12V
leads so their fan ran from 5V, but hadn't swapped the other
end of the pass-through connector so while it was still
keyed right, 12V was on the 5V (intended) rail.

Matir

How did you get the connector in the wrong way round - the plastic is shaped
so it only fits one way?

Well, it was poor quality mobile rack for hdd - I didn't use heavily
strenght, plug fit.

Matir

Michael C

GT said:
How did you get the connector in the wrong way round - the plastic is
shaped so it only fits one way?

I've seen all sorts of things like this, such as a VGA plug in upside down,
a PDA plug in upside down and a printer plugged into the joystick port of a
soundcard.

Michael