3.5 floppy
40Gb Maxtor Drive
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Globalwin WBK38 SKT A Cooler
64Mb XFX Geforce MX440
512mb DDR333 Ram
Sony CDRW
Windows XP

Problem 1 put it all together, pc did not boot up, had power but it was just flashing lights on the front and the fan struggling to spin.

Problem 2 - I left the machine to go have some food, came back, and no power after attempting to switch it on. I unplugged everthing leaving only the CPU, fan and Graphics card attached, this made no difference.

I took an old machine and used the PSU from it to try powering up the new machine - this did work, with only the same results in problem 1.

So my questions are these:

When the power is running what is likely to be stopping the pc from attempting to boot, and why would the fan be struggling?

Also is the power supply likely to be dead, or is there something else that may have occured that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and the fix was?

... go on, you can tell us.

I once sat for 20 mins wondering why I could not get a sound card to work ... you need the speakers pluged in. :D

Reaction score
Re: ... and the fix was?

Originally posted by muckshifter
... go on, you can tell us.

I once sat for 20 mins wondering why I could not get a sound card to work ... you need the speakers pluged in. :D

Fortunately mine wasn't that silly ;) but still pretty close.

Because I was so obsessed with the fact there was a power problem, it never occurred to me that something else could be wrong - It turns out, like a dipshit I had the fan on round the wrong way so the sticky bit was missing the middle of the CPU, which meant the thing thought it was overheating immediately, which explained the fan struggling. Turned it around the correct way and voila. :eek:

Power supply was definetely knackered though, I changed in another one and away she went :D

Ask a Question