Building MSR into the cpu code ...

B

bymyfault

First of, having been pleased being back on this group, i have a found and touching experiences having been on this group always :)

where does processor code resides ? is that some chip like a bios chip on the motherboard ? any info on that one ?

then, i have been reading some of Intel precious articles about MSR-Intelspeed step and i did understood from them that on CPU's which do not have EIST implemented as a code(i guess), that it could be inputed by a little codeof MSR... That would not have to be hardcoding but simple understand and use sort of code. If that's the case is there any advices or procedure on tohow to do just ththat, to implement it ? (i know that the motherboard haveto be compatible, and to have the same thing sorted out, but i would agreeon the TIP that it's possible to put a code for EIST for CPU or the code which is simulating original EIEIST...

CPU IS: 2.8Ghz 478 Northwood cPU 533mhz FSB Revision: D1 Stepping: 9

What else would be great to look prior to looking for the compatible CODE?

thanks.

P

Paul

bymyfault said:
First of, having been pleased being back on this group, i have a found and touching experiences having been on this group always :)

where does processor code resides ? is that some chip like a bios chip on the motherboard ? any info on that one ?

then, i have been reading some of Intel precious articles about MSR-Intelspeed step and i did understood from them that on CPU's which do not have EIST implemented as a code(i guess), that it could be inputed by a little code of MSR... That would not have to be hardcoding but simple understand and use sort of code. If that's the case is there any advices or procedure on to how to do just ththat, to implement it ? (i know that the motherboard have to be compatible, and to have the same thing sorted out, but i would agree on the TIP that it's possible to put a code for EIST for CPU or the code which is simulating original EIEIST...

CPU IS: 2.8Ghz 478 Northwood cPU 533mhz FSB Revision: D1 Stepping: 9

What else would be great to look prior to looking for the compatible CODE?

thanks.

If there's no EIST listed here, I don't see "code"
execution, making any difference. EIST requires hardware
support, such as a VCore regulator that can tolerate VID
codes changing while the processor is running. One other
document I have, shows a fixed multiplier value.

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&FamilyText=Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor&Lithography=130 nm

Mobile processors have traditionally had more power
saving features, than desktop processors. Desktop
processors were made to waste power.

The msr.exe program, allows observing MSR registers. That program
was mentioned in the Dell "throttlegate.pdf" document, which as
near as I can determine, is no longer available anywhere.

http://perfinsp.sourceforge.net/

http://perfinsp.sourceforge.net/msr.html

For that to work, implies the instructions are not privileged
and not restricted to Ring0 execution only (kernel or driver only).
I assume, if you run a program in MSDOS Command Prompt, that's
still Ring3, but I could be wrong. On a modern OS, it only
looks like a DOS prompt, and isn't really DOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(computer_security)

"Ring 1 and Ring 2 are rarely used"

Paul

P

petkoduck

I haven't found nothing especially interesting besides intel compiler and aperson with name Agner agner.org who is a norwegean faculty scientist who is related with the problems of today computer "misbehaving" it es, the most regular user's computer lagging when every-day-use comes as the upomost important use of the computer ever. Then we open the "pandora box" of coding stuff, coders, intel-Amd "fictive war" and the problem of a guy who isn'ta coder and has to do something with his own CPU. I am also looking at theASUS 479 adapter for the 478 socket, but i didn't looked into more about will pentium-M which go on this ASus adapter, would they work with their EIST, as adapter has to have it's own power plugged in on 4-pins(floppy connector). As Paul you have said, the motherboard has to have it's own Vcore regulation ... then the question is, is it doable to makea code for motherboard Vcore also so as EIST for the CPU too ?

i see it as implementing code only, i don't know is it doable from the hardware side of the component !?!? the motherboard is netvista 8303-13G IBM

Computer and motherboard specs:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbSDQsBZHKACow9pIWz9lEIba-ZRZw&pli=1

It would be fun to try to adjust this processor to work/behave just like the EIST orders behaving of the mobile Pentium-M processors on the notebooks and for newer generations of the CPUs.

What could you say from your general knowledge ? from the hardware perspective, is it possible to do something like that in general ?

i mean if i have a coder to do such things(who understands all the processes and porocessings) then it would be possible to be done ?

As for me, i just heard about the Rings scheme, i didn't ment to learn about it,..,

P

Paul

petkoduck said:
I haven't found nothing especially interesting besides intel compiler and a person with name Agner agner.org who is a norwegean faculty scientist who is related with the problems of today computer "misbehaving" it es, the most regular user's computer lagging when every-day-use comes as the upomost important use of the computer ever. Then we open the "pandora box" of coding stuff, coders, intel-Amd "fictive war" and the problem of a guy who isn't a coder and has to do something with his own CPU. I am also looking at the ASUS 479 adapter for the 478 socket, but i didn't looked into more about will pentium-M which go on this ASus adapter, would they work with their EIST, as adapter has to have it's own power plugged in on 4-pins(floppy connector). As Paul you have said, the motherboard has to have it's own Vcore regulation ... then the question is, is it doable to makea code for motherboard Vcore also so as EIST for the CPU too ?

i see it as implementing code only, i don't know is it doable from the hardware side of the component !?!? the motherboard is netvista 8303-13G IBM

Computer and motherboard specs:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbSDQsBZHKACow9pIWz9lEIba-ZRZw&pli=1

It would be fun to try to adjust this processor to work/behave just like the EIST orders behaving of the mobile Pentium-M processors on the notebooks and for newer generations of the CPUs.

What could you say from your general knowledge ? from the hardware perspective, is it possible to do something like that in general ?

i mean if i have a coder to do such things(who understands all the processes and porocessings) then it would be possible to be done ?

As for me, i just heard about the Rings scheme, i didn't ment to learn about it,..,

You don't need a Pentium M.

At one time, people would buy SL726 processors.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL726.html

If you stuff that in a desktop motherboard, it runs with a
12x multiplier. Because the chipset doesn't have the signal to
drive the GHI pin properly, and get the processor up to 3.06GHz.

If you own an 875P based motherboard, you change BCLK to 300MHz,
the FSB becomes FSB1200, the core runs at 3.6GHz. Now, if
you didn't wish to overclock it so severely, you can set
the clock to 200MHz, FSB becomes FSB800, core runs at
2.4GHz, and the power consumed would be very low.

If you own a motherboard with a Mobile chipset, and install
that processor, then the SpeedStep features would work.
It's a nominal 3.06GHz processor, so I presume it switches
between 3.06GHz and a much lower frequency, when the processor
isn't busy.

Those are very nice processors, if you have the right motherboard
for them.

Try popping SL726 into Ebay search, and see what comes up.
I'm sure any that are for sale, have been running at 3.6GHz
for a few years (used) :)

Paul

P

petkoduck

Luckily i have this CPU on the stock. I'll try it today, and write here howi passed tommorow.

But, HEY, heck, what will i do with the 3.06Ghz CPU, even this is high whati have, i'm just pissed off for the reason the normal (external)clock of cpu is always on 2.8Ghz. With or without eist i still have obstacle of not having Voltage regulator on my motherboard, so this cpu near Maybe will do any good for me...

i doubt i would manage to change the CPU clock on this motherboard, i already did tried with RMclock and PLL programs, but they don't have it registered...

P

Paul

petkoduck said:
Luckily i have this CPU on the stock. I'll try it today, and write here how i passed tommorow.

But, HEY, heck, what will i do with the 3.06Ghz CPU, even this is high what i have, i'm just pissed off for the reason the normal (external)clock of cpu is always on 2.8Ghz. With or without eist i still have obstacle of not having Voltage regulator on my motherboard, so this cpu near Maybe will do any good for me...

i doubt i would manage to change the CPU clock on this motherboard, i already did tried with RMclock and PLL programs, but they don't have it registered...

For the Mobile processors, as far as I know, there's a signal called "GHI"
that controls the two clock speeds of the Mobile processor. When you
use a regular desktop motherboard, the chipset has no signal to
drive GHI. And Intel designed it, such that the processor cannot "change gears"
without a specific sequence of GHI and some other signal. So you
can't even fix it with a "socket mod" to drive the GHI signal.
You'd need a small logic circuit, to drive a couple signals
properly.

If you had a motherboard with Mobile chipset, then it would drive the GHI.

If the motherboard BIOS has a clock generator setting, you can crank
the input clock (BCLK). But only certain S478 boards are rated for
extreme settings that way. The first time I read about that processor,
it was being driven with BCLK=300MHz, FSB1200 resulting on the bus
(a very high value considering FSB533 is normal), and the core can then
do 3.6GHz.

The socket has the BSEL pins. And that's a way to set the clock
generator, when BIOS or PLL programs don't work. I did a mod like
that to my Asrock LGA775 board. But unlike other modders, I didn't just
short a signal on the socket - I disconnected the CPU signal driving
that line, and substituted my own signal. The purpose of doing it
that way, is so there would be no way the CPU could get damaged
by my mod.

Depending on the motherboard, you may have a BSEL bit pattern for
speeds like FSB400 (BCLK=100), FSB533 (BCLK=133), or FSB800 (BCLK=200).
With the "stuck multiplier" of the SL726 without GHI driven, that
gives a max of 200x12 = 2.4GHz, and that processor should run
pretty cool. If you have a proper Mobile chipset on the motherboard,
then the processor runs 3.06GHz at startup, and no BSEL mod is
necessary. With a Mobile chipset, the chip might vary its speed
from 1.6GHz to 3.06GHz when it is busy. Without a Mobile chipset
(a regular desktop motherboard), the speed will be fixed, and
fixed by whatever arrangement you can make with BSEL pins.
Like, it could be stuck at 2.4GHz, if you can get FSB800 set via
BSEL. An 865/875 based S478 motherboard is best for this (if
you can't find a Mobile chipset, the 865/875 should at least
be able to tweak the clock nicely for you).

Do a Google search on "BSEL mod S478", and you may find instructions
for doing a mod. The S478 has two BSEL pins. Of the four possible
bit patterns, 100MHz, 133MHz, and 200MHz should be defined. And
the 200MHz value times the 12x multiplier of the SL726 gives you
a 2.4GHz processor operating speed, at relatively low power.
To do the 3.6Ghz extreme setting, that takes a BIOS with
clock generator adjustment in it (or, a working PLL program
for your OS).

Paul

P

petkoduck

Thenky You!

The 3.06ghz cpu Northwood core gives 1.6Ghz max Frequency on 133mhz FSB.
I could try to learn about BSEL mod S478 and try that out..
Programming is more interesting to me, i really doubt it couldn't be done,
just the sources of knowledge and informations aren't by my hands to practice to try that out.

the higher FSB could be the solution, although power consumption and all the rest what EIST gives by its instructions would be the right thing to do, as i have comprehended that about the Eist.

ta-ta my Lad!

Ask a Question