BT PSTN to be switched off by 2025

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
"Landlines in the UK are going digital. By 2025, the existing analogue technology (the PSTN - Public Switched Telephone Network) which has supported phone and broadband services for decades will be switched off and replaced with newer digital technology."

Article HERE

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
"Landlines in the UK are going digital. By 2025, the existing analogue technology (the PSTN - Public Switched Telephone Network) which has supported phone and broadband services for decades will be switched off and replaced with newer digital technology."

Article HERE
Our ISP has been giving out a lot of info about this and have been encouraging customers to make the switch before 2025. Much of it sounds good, but, I have some mixed feelings to be honest, such as what happens when if the internet goes down for any reason?

There are still some peeps (particularly among the older generation,) who either don't have, or don't use mobiles, so can't help wondering what will happen to them in the event of having some kind of emergency, but no means of contacting help.

Reaction score
Our ISP has been giving out a lot of info about this and have been encouraging customers to make the switch before 2025. Much of it sounds good, but, I have some mixed feelings to be honest, such as what happens when if the internet goes down for any reason?

There are still some peeps (particularly among the older generation,) who either don't have, or don't use mobiles, so can't help wondering what will happen to them in the event of having some kind of emergency, but no means of contacting help.
You are quite right Taffycat.
My wife and I are both in our 80s. We both have tablets and we both have mobile phones,though my wife has yet to get up and running. As regard to the land line phone,which we both prefer,and wish it would stay as it is. But I really no nothing about the new set up coming along...what does one do?

Reaction score
This is a cost cutting exercise. Maximising yet more profit

I have not owned a land line for many many years but I can see what they are doing

Reaction score
My thanks for your reply TriplexDread.
Do you then use mobile phones to get in touch with folk?
But what happens in a power cut,do you lose all connection?

Ask a Question