browser session handling

Richard P

I am experiencing some browser weirdness.

My app uses session state to hide values I prefer to keep out of the
querystring. I am testing to see what happens when cookies are fully
disabled in IE 6 and NS 7. NS behaves as expected: it has no recall of
previous requests. With IE however my app works as normal: I can still store
and retrieve values from session state. Am I imagining this? If not it
suggests to me that IE 6 always includes a session cookie in the http
header.

(I am running a local IIS installation on my XP laptop).

Richard

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Richard,

How are you doing on this question, have you had a chance to look at the
suggestions in my last reply? Anway, if there're anything else we can help,
please feel free to post here.

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:58:12 GMT
| Subject: RE: browser session handling
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| Hi Richard,
|
| As for the cookies, generally there're two kinds of cookies:
| 1. Persistent cookie
| These cookie will be persisted on the client user's hard disk and can be
| used the next time the client user visit the same site(even after closing
| the web browser)
|
| 2. Session cookie
| Only valid during the single browser instance's lifecycle. Cookie for
| session are always of this kind and for IE, we can find that when we
start
| a new IE instance and visit the same site, a new session id(session
cookie)
| will be generated.
|
| So I'm not sure how does you disable the cookie in IE, if you just add
the
| site into the restricted site, it'll only disable those persistent
cookies
| from being use. We can find the complete setting for cookie in IE
through :

| Internet Options ---> Privacy tab ----> click "Advanced ..." button
|
| In the popup dialog, we can find the "Always allow session cookies"
option,
| have you try unchecking this to see whether the session cookie be
disabled?
| Also, remember to add your site(domain name) into the block list.
|
| Please have a try to see whether the above settings help. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Richard P" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: browser session handling
| | Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:37:42 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
| |
| | I am experiencing some browser weirdness.
| |
| | My app uses session state to hide values I prefer to keep out of the
| | querystring. I am testing to see what happens when cookies are fully
| | disabled in IE 6 and NS 7. NS behaves as expected: it has no recall of
| | previous requests. With IE however my app works as normal: I can still
| store
| | and retrieve values from session state. Am I imagining this? If not it
| | suggests to me that IE 6 always includes a session cookie in the http
| | header.
| |
| | (I am running a local IIS installation on my XP laptop).
| |
| | Richard
| |
| |